New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possibly a dumb question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got a couple of hundred new, unprimed Winchester cases for my 45-70. Never having dealt with such riches before, I have a question.
Is it neccessary to size these before loading, or do I just bell the case, and use them as they are?
Thank you

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As is ..
see if the bullet's will seat first if not just open it up a bit..

Are these for your marlin GS 45/70

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personaly I'd size them, if only to make sure the still round after shipping. You still need to do all the "regular" prep anyway, so what's a couple of extra minutes?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually they're for my Ruger #3. Why, should this make a difference, or are you just curious? Based on overall performance, I have been using 59.6gr. IMR3031 behind the Hornady 350gr. roundnose. Not the hottest load possible, but accurate as hell.

Posts: 282 | Location: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 26 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wondering is all no biggy

Sound's like fun ---Booom----

I was out this morning ok morning for me 12:00 Noon

Shot some more 405 bullalo Bore's for the brass
Nice brass

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just run the expander in mine and go been loading 45-70 for 10 years no problems

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help.
For what it's worth, I decided to follow the old adage of, "when all else fails, read the directions", and got the following info from Winchester. They say that before loading, bulk brass should be full length resized, trimmed to length, and de-burred. I think that this may be overkill, as all the cases measured within .001 of "trim to " size. What the heck, nothing to lose by being too careful.
Thank you all once again.

<eldeguello>
posted
Belling the mouths would take care of any dings, or bent mouths, but I'd measure them to ensure thay're all the correct length. Some of them may have to be trimmed slightly.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
New brass seems to typically be banged up, so I fl size as a matter of course.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mix3006
posted Hide Post
All of the Winchester brass I have ever got are excellent cases but very rough around the mouth(out of round & tapered)so I always neck size first then trim just enough to square them up and give them a uniform length.

Posts: 191 | Location: Wollongong NSW Australia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no such thing as a dumb question. as a matter of routine i would size them. some don't and that's probably not a big issue.

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote