New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Primer Pocket cleaning tool ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Which one is fastest most efficent ?i find reloading a bit of a chore and just want something that gets it done quick and efficently Thanks

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use both the RCBS brush type as well the solid one that Lee makes. Either type can be chucked in a cordless drill that makes it a bit quicker and easier. Both of these tools are inexpensive, if you want to spend the $'s you can get some real fancy setups.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the best tools i ever bought is the rcbs trim mate case prep center. it cost 99.00 but it is the fastest primer pocket cleaner i have used.

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
...the solid one that Lee makes.

It works as designed without modification. One of Lee's triumphs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A small straight-slot screwdriver blade. Just how clean do you want to make a primer pocket? And why? (Not trying to be a smart ass, just never understood the need to clean them anymore than can be gotten with a 79 cent screwdriver tip- which is pretty darn clean.)

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gnoahhh:
...just never understood the need to clean them anymore than can be gotten with a 79 cent screwdriver tip....

Think of the Lee tool as two 79 cent screwdrivers for $1.50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anything you can chuck in a cordless drill.... I like the Hornadys, but I'm sure there are several others. I prefer these to the "brush type" cleaners...

http://www.midsouthshooterssup....asp?sku=00005041200

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cordless drills are made in Heaven... dancing
They sure take the drudgery out of cases prep...

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm a little obsessive about a few parts of the reloading process, I imagaine a quick twist with a screwdriver or a fast spin of a brush type cleaner does fine, but I just love the 'machined' look that a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer gives you. I have a drill dedicated to one of those, and one to a chamfering tool. I still outside chamfer by hand Eeker

After a while, the uniformer won't hit the bottom of the pocket, so then I use the brush type in a drill, or pitch the brass--perish the thought.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish beat me to it. Tho a bit spendy, the Sinclair primer pocket cleaner wins hands down for me.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I like the RCBS case master, but did use a small screwdriver for many years and was happy with it. The only down side to the screwdrivers and other manual tools is when doing a few hundred cases your hand gets sore.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
My £25 ultrasonic cleaner - does all the brass in one go. dancing

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just love the 'machined' look that a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer gives you

+3

thumb

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried at least a half dozen different ones. The Sinclair unit chucked up in a drill or drill press is by FAR the best.

Uniform it the first time and then use it to quickly clean them after that. It's a waaaay better tool than most the others..........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sinclair carbide.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Primer Pocket Uniformer made by "Whitetail Design". Don't know if they are still in business or not. I think they were advertising in Handloader when I got it.

quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
... After a while, the uniformer won't hit the bottom of the pocket, ...
Hey Fish, What do you think is happening there? You Seating the Primer too hard??? Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Large quantities of cartridge cases can be quickly processed
after resizing and decapping to prepare the primer pocket for
reloading. The primer pocket reamers and cleaners are double
ended in small and large bit diameters to precisely fit
primer pockets. Simply insert the appropriate reamer or
cleaner into the chuck of the power driver. A turn or two of
the cleaner bit removes the fouling. Now process the rest of
your cartridge cases in the same manner. A clean primer
pocket allows even primer seating.

LYMAN

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The best tool I ever had were my kids. Now I'm waiting for the grandaughter to get a couple years older....

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ Haydon sells one that is top of the line!
253-857-7557

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A small straight-slot screwdriver blade. Just how clean do you want to make a primer pocket? And why? (Not trying to be a smart ass, just never understood the need to clean them anymore than can be gotten with a 79 cent screwdriver tip- which is pretty darn clean.)

The brass manufacturers are coming out with new virgin brass with carbon put onto the primer pockests just for reloader like you.

wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some of us just prefer for our primers to be seated dead flat and exactly the same depth in ever single case. There's a lot more variation in brass than you might think, it's not just about cleaning them.......................DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
quote:

Some of us just prefer for our primers to be seated dead flat and exactly the same depth in ever single case. There's a lot more variation in brass than you might think, it's not just about cleaning them.......................DJ

beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
+ 5 for Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Reed:
+ 5 for Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniformer

+6, but I only use it once to clean up the primer pockets of new brass. After depriming fired cases, I chuck up the RCBS small circular wire brooms in a cordless drill to get the crud out of the pockets. Much better than doing it by hand.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Lyman pocket uniformer is made to cut brass into shape, but does a great job of scratching down to the brass.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For non-particular applications I use Remington primers because the ash is very loose and is easy to remove. Often more than half of it will just fall out of the primer pocket when the case is decapped. I buy a lot of once fired brass and when I need to clean really grubby primer pockets i just uniform them with one of the carbide uniformers powered by my cordless drill.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
... After a while, the uniformer won't hit the bottom of the pocket, ...
Hey Fish, What do you think is happening there? You Seating the Primer too hard??? Big Grin

Good question HC, I just figure that the primer pocket bottom is just out of reach of the uniformer due to wear, usually after another firing it can clean all but a little tiny bit of the carbon out......you got some more intel?

Always trying to learn!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are using proper loads you can use the primer pocket uniformer to clean the carbon out of previously uniformed pockets indefinately.
I was taught the technique by benchrest shooters who shoot the same 20 or so cases in matches essentially for the life of the barrel, they are reloaded hundreds of times each and they use the same uniformer to clean them as they did to uniform them the first time.

The Sinclair is far the best tool for the job since it won't wear out and can't go out of the adjustment like the lyman or RCBS tools where the depth adjustment is held in by a set screw. The Sinclair is a solid peice of Carbide........................DJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fish, Not sure of a viable answer myself for the Primer Pocket getting slightly deeper.

I thought "maybe" the ambient temperature might make enough difference to just have it change enough that a person would notice it. I think I've noticed that before too, but didn't give it a lot of thought at the time. My Uniformer is solid Carbide like dj mentioned, so I know the depth on it isn't moving either.

Only other thing I could come up with is Seating the Primer hard enough to deflect the Pocket slightly. I don't believe it is possible to do that with the hand-held Lee Primer Tools I use. But, I think RCBS makes some kind of Bench Mounted Ram Primer Seater that appears to have enough leverage to "maybe" over-Seat a Primer. And the regular Primer Seater on a Press sure has the leverage needed.

But in either of those situations, it looks to me like the Primer Pellet would be cracked or crushed. That could result in inconsistent ignition or no ignition at all.
-----

I'd like to know the "real answer" myself.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think RCBS makes some kind of Bench Mounted Ram Primer Seater that appears to have enough leverage to "maybe" over-Seat a Primer.

I have one of these tools and it is just as sensitive as the Lee hand primer seater.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey SR4759, Would it be possible to push a Primer in too hard with one?

What do you think happened in Fish's Case for the Primer Pocket to become deeper rather than shallower?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winchester 69:
quote:
...just never understood the need to clean them anymore than can be gotten with a 79 cent screwdriver tip )which is pretty darn clean).

Think of the Lee tool as two 79 cent screwdrivers for $1.50.

animal

Posts: 213 | Location: ┌\oo/┐ Tick infested woods of N.Y. | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey SR4759, Would it be possible to push a Primer in too hard with one?

What do you think happened in Fish's Case for the Primer Pocket to become deeper rather than shallower?

By far the most likely thing is that the bottom of the case is no longer perfectly flat preventing the primer pocket tool from bottoming the same way. This can happen from several causes, ejector marks etc....................................DJ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnyg:

animal

thanks - too often i have felt under-appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The electric RCBS Case Prep Unit is for you thumb Use the primer pocket uniformer each time instead of a brush. Brass flows into the primer pocket each firing.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...By far the most likely thing is that the bottom of the case is no longer perfectly flat preventing the primer pocket tool from bottoming the same way. This can happen from several causes, ejector marks etc....................................DJ
Hey DJ, I see what you are talking about. That would indeed hold the Uniformer out a bit. I'll watch for that the next time it happens to me. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The SKIL iXO pistol grip screw driver lithium battery 4.6v is a handy machine. Screw tips fit and scrapes crud nicely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee tool. Quick, cheap and effective.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are we shooting Bench Rest? I resize and deprime my cases and toss them in the tumbler. When I take them out, the primer pockets are clean. Anything you do beyond that is burnishing the metal. You can't get much quicker than that. And FYI, I've tried it both ways in blind tests without a determined advantage. Soooooo, do whatever peels your banana. I'd rather spend my time shooting. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...By far the most likely thing is that the bottom of the case is no longer perfectly flat preventing the primer pocket tool from bottoming the same way. This can happen from several causes, ejector marks etc....................................DJ
Hey DJ, I see what you are talking about. That would indeed hold the Uniformer out a bit. I'll watch for that the next time it happens to me. Thanks

I can see that, my uniformer is carbide as well, I seat primers with either a Sinclair handheld or the RCBS universal, mostly the latter. Never too hard on the seating pressure for me, just til I feel em bottom out--never had a misfire in over a 100,000 + reloads now ....only ones I ever had were early in my reloading learning curve, and weren't cause of me, just shitty Fed primers--Fed match at that!
About 30 duds in a box of 100!

I thought that the pocket had just gotten a hair deeper, or perhaps even my uniformer had worn over 10's of thousands of cases, but I sure can't measure that......the carbon that stays there sure seems to be an even coat, just out of reach of the uniformer so to speak......I know Glenn Zediker says the get SHALLOWER with repeated firings.... that ain't been the case for me. DJ's theory on the bottom of the case being out of square seems solid, but like I said, the remaining carbon seems really even. Hmmmmmmmmm