Find
Notify
Tools

Re: NIRVANA ACHIEVED WITH THE TSX AND THE 30.06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
Jorge, I'm still not sold on the the expanding solid's (Failsafe, X)... I've punched several animal's with each that apparently didn't expand. Supposedly, however, the TSX is the next generation and doesn't exhibit this problem... maybe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir - thats good to hear as I plan to have my chamber cut for the 168 in 06 - thats if Krieger ever gets me my barrel and I can then get it sent to Gre-Tan. Maybe next fall I can post some whitetail reports.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have had similiar experiences with a Ruger 77 MkII in 7 Mag. I've tried half a dozen powders and a dozen different bullets with no consistency at all. I tried floating the barrel, then different amounts of shimming, then I had the trigger reworked and pillar bedded the action. Nothing helped. Then I tried the 140 grain TSX and for the first time it shot < 1 MOA. It now consistently holds .75-1 MOA all day.

Last month I took an antelope at 284 yards on a quartering away shot. The bullet entered behind the last rib and came out the front of the chest. The exit hole was about .75" in diameter. It looked fine to me.

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ok gents, I was on record as being a "barnes hater," they fouled my barrels and would shoot minute of foot. Then our forum buddy Terry Blauwkamp reported good things about them in Africa and I tried them--unsuccesfully in my 300 Winchester 180gr. On a whim, I tried a load recommended by a friend of mine consisting of 54gr of H-414, WW brass and CCI-200 primers. Out of my 22" barreled pre-64 Featherweight ( a 1" shooter but no better) I could not believe my eyes-- a one hole group-- tried it again and while not a "one holer" it was right at 3/8". Fouling was no worse than conventional bullets, I managed to remove all traces of copper with Sweets.

This past weekend, I went up to my friends place in South Carolina and shot a respectable 150# hog, purposely smacking him square on the gristle plate on the shoulder. The TSX dropped it stone dead and even more amazing, shot clean through, leaving a nice sized "nickle" hole in the exaust end. I'm sold. Just thought I'd share. Oh yeah, MV was right at 2750 fps. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, glad to hear you are now a convert. Hmmmm... now maybe we can convince you to try WipeOut one more time?!

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yes the load specified is for the 180gr bullet, yes Fjold's movie is the highlight of this thread and no Wipeout continues to disappoint me. But I do use it, sort of. After I get back from the range, I scrub the powder residue out with either Shooter's Choice or Hoppes, followed by a treatment with Wipeout which does get a lot of the copper out, then I finish with a few strokes of Sweets, but Wipeout by itself has still to convince me. sorry. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge--just want to make it clear to me--that was a 180tsx in a '06 at 54.0 h 414?? By the way--all this is great but that "mini movie" keeps drawing my attention.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you are getting the results wanted with the TSX. I have a couple boxes and will be trying them this year. I have always gotten great results with the X also.
Fjold's avatar just kills me--- I lose all train of thought!! Just imagine what it would be like if she had no shirt on! I suppose I would just plain lose my mind!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well, i take a "little" bit back on my accolades for the TSX. Somebody once commented that Barnes suffers from a lack of uniformity and that they tend to "mess' with their bullet shapes all the time. Well I was so elated with the darned things that I ordered two new boxes of 180gr and proceeded to load. Well they seated about 002' longer than the previous ones I loaded. I was pissed. well inside the box was a little blue sheet of paper that said the following:"At Barnes bullets we are constantly strivng to make a better product, blah,blah, blah. Please be aware that if you've loaded this bullet in the past, you may have to adjust your seating die. arrrgh! So a prompt call to barnes was made. I asked them if this would change my bullet's impact, and they honerstly could not tell me. Well, I'm going to go to the range tomorrrow and i'll let you know as to whetehr I'm back to hating them again. jorge