THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Does anyone have a rifle that won't shoot the TSX's?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have a rifle that won't shoot the TSX's?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just curious, as they have been very good in everything I've used them in, which includes a lot of calibers and rifles. They have also cured a pair of rifles, one a .338-06 that just wouldn't shoot under 1.25 shoots .6-.7 with 210 TSX's and Big Game and goes 2800 fps. The other was my old 7x57 which was at best a 1MOA with its favorite load, shoots TSX's all day at approaching a half inch for three shots. It will bore you to death with perfedt triangles. My .257 Weatherby has only had one load fired in it, RL22 and a 100TSX my last three shots with it was .272 in. this morning. The only downside is in some rifles they do require a bit more cleaning, but nothing like the old X bullets.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've had good results with the TSX bullets. There's only a hand full of people around here who've even tried them and very few who actually shoot them on a regular basis and i've heard both good and bad reports from those few. I've been considering trying the 130gr in my 30.06 but just haven't done it as of yet. I know Barnes recommends seating from .030-.070 from the lands for best accuracy. Just curious, how close to the lands are you loading in the rifles you mentioned to get the accuracy that you're getting? Thanks! Mike

Life's Tough....God's Good....Pray Hard!

Posts: 40 | Location: NC | Registered: 16 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a rifle that won't shoot the TSX's?

I don't, but a friend had one!

It was a 7-08 Browning A-bolt. Both the Barnes Xs and TSXs would not group better than 4" at 50 yards!!! He even tried the old Win failsafes (talon tech) - They were no better. Most all other factory ammo worked well grouping 1" or so at 100 yards. Neither he nor I could figure this one out!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
I have one. It is a fairly new Remington 22-250 VLS and I really wanted to shoot the 53 gr TSX. Have only tried H380 powder with it though.

It would have been a bullet for varmint hunting around here that would have been adequate for the occasional hog that showed up.

Won't shoot that bullet, I'm talking 6" groups. Perhaps it's too long and the 1 in 14 twist just isn't stabilizing it. All the other guns from 264 to 338's have been easy to find a good load.

I'm having about the same accuracy with the Accubonds and have switched some over to it.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
QTip

I start right in the middle of that range at .050 off the lands and have not yet had to adjust OAL for accuracy. The .257 Weatherby I just set the OAL at factory length which I think is 3.250. This .257 is a tremendous shooter, and I've made some long kills on whitetails with it as well. On top of that I won it in a sales contest, so have nothing in it. It is a pretty consistent cloverleaf rifle if it is kept clean, seems to foul worse than any rifle I own.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My Ruger M77 7mm Mag will not shoot the 160 grain TSXs into less than 2-3" at 100 yards but it will shoot the 140 TSXs into less than an inch.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best TSX groups that I got are 1/2" in a 708, 270 and 300SAUM. If I want tighter I switch to Seirra Match bullets. 1/2" groups are great in any hunting rifle

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote