THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: Regular Hornady Spire PT's vs the newer SST's ?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Regular Hornady Spire PT's vs the newer SST's ?
 Login/Join

posted
I personally don't think they are any tougher than the ballistic tips. In fact, I think they may be worse. Worst case scenario with a ballistic tip, at least the base has a little weight and will penetrate.

I had one bad experience with an SST, a 150 grain out of a 3006. Shot a walking buck at 120 yards, so velocity couldn't have been too exceptional. Bullet hit front shoulder, broke shoulder, and deer fell ina dry creek bed.

When I got over to him, he was trying to get up on three legs, I put one in his neck to finish him off. When I gutted him out, I could find no evidence that the bullet eve entered the vitals, or anywhere it exited as if it had been deflected. I couldn't believe it. The shoulder was demolished, and it seemed like the bullet exploded in the shoulder.

This was a few years back, and I wish I would have done a more thourough autopsy.

My dad has used ballistic tips in his 280 and seems to get pretty good results.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
At 2700 fps you should be fine, expansion wise, unless you are reeeealllly adverse to meat damage, in which case you probably would be a TSX fan!

I found that at 2950 fps, the 180 SST's vs. 180 NBT in my 300WSM that the SST's were slightly less accurate and did more meat damage on similar hits through ribs and shoulders. I couldn't recover any bullets though...
You will get flatter shooting at similar starting velocities compared to spire points, but I doubt you would notice it enough in the field, even at 300 yards.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd stick to the interlocks.....for animals up to 400 pounds there's no better bullet made.....many as good maybe but none better.

IMO the SSTs are roughly equivalent to the Ballistic tips in performance and accuracy but they just don't give me the exit holes I want.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote