New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer .223 40 Grn SP Bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy wants to sell me a couple unopened boxes of the bullets. Thought if they are any good I might give them a try in my old savage 23D hornet. I don't see them on the speer website so they must be discontinued. Anybody use them before. FYI, he wants $6.00 a box.

RJS

[ 11-05-2003, 02:45: Message edited by: RJS ]

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RJS:
A buddy wants to sell me a couple unopened boxes of the bullets. Thought if they are any good I might give them a try in my old savage 23D hornet. I don't see them on the speer website so they must be discontinued. Anybody use them before. FYI, he wants $6.00 a box.

RJS

I also have a couple of boxes of them from a simialr old Hornet and kept them when the gun went.....but all my other Hornets were later ones with the 224 bore and I haven't tried them in those in a long time but they did about as well as any other bullet in that old gun....as memory serves but nothing special in mine.....6$ is a decent price and they will work for fireforming if nothing else.....good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of badgerrr
posted Hide Post
I use the #1017 Speer 40gr Soft Point in my .223s. This is a .224 diameter bullet that sells for about $8.50 a box (before shipping) from Midsouth.

It has been giving me some of the best soft point accuracy. It is positively explosive on smallish critters. The only coyote I've shot with the bullet, dropped in it's tracks.

If this bullet is the one your friend is offering to sell you...I recommend it highly.

Posts: 107 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I ran a couple hundred thru a Hornet this past summer on gophers (ground squirrels) and they worked about as well as anything else. No better, no worse. Yes, they do riccochet after passing thru a gopher, but gophers offer a bullet comparatively little resistance.

For $6, you can hardly go wrong, IMO.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote