Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brass Cleaning/Tumbling Media
 Login/Join

posted
Bought a Lyman brass tumbler a few weeks ago. I had some new-old stock media that I have been using - it appears to be kitty litter (clay) impregnated with jewelers' rouge, which gives it and my fingers a red color. Worked great at first, but the performance seems to have fallen way off after about 1000 rounds. Two questions:

1) How long does tumbling media usually last?
2) Is there a better type that I should be using? Ground corn cobs, walnut shells?

Posts: 21 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Ive ran thousands through my walnut media with no sighns of quitting

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Ive ran thousands through my walnut media with no sighns of quitting

tu2X 2 tu2 I just keep adding walnut every now and than. I do use dryer type fabric softener ( cut up ) to keep media fairly clean.The media does get reduced in size as time goes by. Once in a while some gets jammed in primer flash hole. I can't be sure but I attribute this to a couple of bent decapping pins ; about two in many years. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if your cases are oily it will affect the media life. the oil soaks up in the media and eventually instead of a polish you will find media residue strongly adhered to the cases

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote