Notify
Tools

303 British Lower Chamber Pressure Reloads
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted
Hi all,
I have a .303 Muscat Martini carbine that is in well above average condition and I would like to use a load that will reduce the chamber pressure, but still be able to use 150gn jacketed bullets. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and God bless

Posts: 336 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Use the 60% rule from Hodgdon Youth Loads using H4895 powder. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
243winxb,
Thank you for the information and web site. I will try the loads and post results. Thanks again and God bless. ..cordell

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hello 243winxb,
Well as you might expect out of the 20+ powders I have I did not have H4895 and the small gunshop just down the road (13 miles away) did not have it either. Long story short I picked up a container yesterday, loaded up 10 rounds, and I am a very happy camper!! The 60% formula works and recoil is almost non existant! I was almost out of daylight when I finished but I did have enough time to put up a 1/2 gallon jug of water and crack off a shot at 50 yards. BIG SPRAY ;-).... This is my first try with the little carbine and although I am blind without a scope (well, bi-focals anyway) I thought the little fellow did O.K. I will do a bit more on paper and update the groups and the formula later this week. Thanks again for the information and God bless you and yours. ....cordell

one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Quick update on the Muscat Martini,

The next time out did not go well Confused???
I must have pulled the shot the other day because last night I had a few minutes so I grabbed the little Muscat and headed out to shoot. At 35 yards I made a nice 1 1/2 inch, 4 shot group that was 8 inches high and 11 inches to the left!! I may need a bed sheet to sight in at 100 yards????...Will try to post more later. Take care and God bless. cordell

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Reduced loads will not shoot to the same point of aim as factory ammo. It might be a big problem with Iron sights if they dont have a lot of adjustment. Front sights, if mounted in a dove tail can be drifted for windage same as rear sight. Move rear sight right, bullet hits move to the right. Move the front sight to the right and the bullet hits move to the Left. I would work up an accurate load first, then adjust sights, if possible. Good luck.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
243winxb,
Integral front sight and ladder rear, there is no windage adjustment. As far as the accuracy of the loads, I am relatively sure that the load itself is not the problem (1 1/2" at 35 yards). It probably has more to do with poor sights, bad eyes, and a 200lb trigger pull. Thanks for the help and best wishes, I will keep you posted. Take care and God bless. ....cordell

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find the article on surplusrifle.com of interest. Using IMR Trail Boss with cast bullets in most mil-surp cartridges...
http://surplusrifle.com/articl...ilbosskiss/index.asp

Posts: 174 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 03 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the 303 and the 30/40 Krag are pretty similar, I can recommend what I use in my Krag if the 4895 don't work out in the long run...

20 to 25 Grains of SR 4759...

I use match bullets in mine, just because it is that good of a shooter, at least with these loads.

am using match bullets with 168, 175, 180 and 190 grain weights.. Sierra Match Kings.

3 inch groups at 200 meters with open sites...

It has to be the rifle and the load, because it darn sure has nothing to do with my eye site!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cordell
posted Hide Post
Hello CTSixshot, and seafire/B17G,
CTSixshot, I am trying to stay away from casting for this little guy, but appreciate the site anyway! I still cast for my (several) 45-70's but that's about it anymore. seafire/B17G, I have 4759 so I will try your load and get back to you regarding any point of impact change. I am relatively sure that I just have a rifle that is going to hit high and very far to the left. However I have closed groups up 2 inches at 100yds with a load or bullet change so "nothing beats a try but a failure to do so".................Thanks again to both of you and God bless you and yours. cordell

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Hi there cordell

We haven't 'met' yet. If it's a 303 Brit it'll have an oversize thoat and bore at the throat area due to the use of cordite cartridges. This means it'll like oversize and maybe round nose bullets. Being old, there is a chance the muzzle is a little worn too. Then it'll have rather challenging sights and you have already mentioned the trigger.

About the 'unadjustable windage' sights - you could try 'sticking' a 'U' blade across the existing 'vee' to correct the windage and elevation zero. You could also fill the 'vee' with epoxy and cut a new 'U' in it.

You say you don't want to cast for it. Well, OK. I suppose that would rule out paper patching? Roll Eyes

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote