Find
Notify
Tools

"Getting started" book
 Login/Join

<Pastor Charlie>
posted
Hi folks,

As many of you know, I am a beginner to the world of reloading. I went to our county library today and they have two books on the subject: THE ABC'S OF RELOADING 6TH EDITION by C.Rodney James and COMPLETE RELOADING GUIDE by John E. Traister and Robert Traister.
Is anyone familiar with either and could recommend one above the other? Or perhaps another one all together?

Thank you and God bless you!

Pastor Charlie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Traister is not too bad to start with. It reminds me of Lyman's "47.Reloading Handbook" (which I would prefer).
NRA's "Handloading" by Wm.C. Davis, Jr. will give you a real bunch of knowledge, and Sinclair International's "Precision Reloading & Shooting Handbook" may follow as this little booklet will introduce you to modern reloading and shooting techniques.

I have a Grenell-version of the ABC-book you are referring to. It may be a bit too specialized to start with.

Generally I tend to have several books (try to get all of these manufacturer's reloading manuals, step by step): handloading is such a wide field that you cannot expect to find a book which covers all aspects in detail.

And later, when you find that you are addicted, you may want to turn to the classics like Whelen, Mann, and Naramore.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Not to mention, Waitaminit, Phil Sharpe's COMPLETE GUIDE TO HANDLOADING. Dated, sure, because it lists a lot of obsolete powders. But, for in-depth info, and a great description of smokeless propellant manufacture, it's hard to beat. Phil was one of the first INDIVIDUALS to own an accurate chronograph, so he knew things others could only guess about in those days.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Dear Pastor - again I at least would like to know what kind of guns, calibers, or shooting you plan on doing - this might help in getting you some more specific recommendations as to equipment, books, etc.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Pet Loads" by Ken Waters, available from Wolf Publishing, has a couple of articals on 45-70s. Bunches of loads too. Many rifles tested. This is a two voume set that no serious reloader should be without.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Yes!! And also, there's P.O. Ackley's two-volume set, Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the lyman #47 and Hodgdons #27 manuals.They are both worth the money.I started out reloading for a 45-70.What a blast making those big rounds.I also reload the .270 win.Good luck on your new hobby and remember wear eye protection and NO smoking while reloading.

------------------
My 45-70 is my best friend.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote