Find
Notify
Tools

"Maximmum load, use with caution"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
just tried out a few loads for my .338. Used the 250 grains RN and SP bullets from Hornady and got very nice (hole in hole) groups at maximum load (naturally...) with only a 4m/s bullet velocity min-max, one of the better I've seen so far in reloading.

Well, what does the "use with caution" really mean in the loading manuals? Compared to the loading tables from Hornady I got about 30m/s velocity below. Is this an indicator of "safety" or am I in the grey area? No apparent over-pressure signs on the cases. The starting weight on the other hand sooted the cases.

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It means work up slowly to the max load looking for pressure signs. Not all rifles are the same and what you use in yours may not be safe in another.
Rarely will you get the published velocity because you do not have the pressure guns, special equipment or even the same rifle used (If a rifle was used.) for the data.
When you find accuracy like you are getting, stop! Don't look to get the velocity shown in the book.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Soot" on the cases is nothing to be concerned about especially with minimum loads. All this means is the load is not developing enough pressure right away to seal the case to the chamber and some gas is going back around the outside of the neck of the case. This is normal.

I agree with bfrshooter.

I load for accuracy first before I even look at the chrono. If I am getting a velocity even 200 fps below what the reloading manual indicates I am satisfied as long as I am getting good accuracy - even if I end up using a load that is 1 or 2 grains below the listed maximum.

It doesn't much matter how fast your bullet is going if you can't hit anything.

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 30378 puts in his signature "Accuracy kills. High velocity numbers influence friends and forums."

So long as you aren't getting any pressure signs, you should be good. The Hornady manual explains what to look for. If you aren't experienced with handloading, read it several times.

You will find tremendous variation between rifles even of the same make and model. Another might give you that much over the listed top velocity. The accuracy and the low shot to shot variation is most important. Those bullets aren't really all that hard so you don't need as much velocity as possible to insure expansion.

Sounds like you have found one of those loads that we all look for. thumb

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth, the only cartridge I have ever reloaded where the published loads approached what I saw on my chronograph, is the .308 Winchester for use in my FN-FAL.

Be safe, not sorry.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, I am very happy with the results as they are, my real concern was only "use with caution", i.e. are the max. load in the tables by default right on the margin of over-pressure or are they having any safety margins there?

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a safety margin. I have had several rifles that needed a little over published max for accuracy. Just realize some guns will show pressure signs before reaching the max load and others can take a bit more. There are too many variables to give a sure answer, just be careful. Accuracy is still king though and you have a great load.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuracy is still king though and you have a great load.

Thanks, those Scandinavian brown-bears better hide now, season opens 21:st of August! Wink

Regards
Goran

Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Browning B325 cal. 12