THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Deep Shok bullets - what are they?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've missed out on the product announcement for these. Can someone fill me in as to what they are? How do they compare to the Grand Slams?

I'm also aware that Speer is manufacturing or at least marketing the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, but these Deep Shoks are something different, aren't they?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal introduced the Deep Shok a couple years ago. We took the very first game in Africa with them and were impressed with the performance.

Then suddenly they dropped them. Why....Becasue Blount, who owns Speer and Federal, wanted to market the Deep Shok bullets as a componant item, as they will sell millions more of them.

The bullet has a VERY deffined jacket taper and 5 nose slots for uniform expansion. Plus a locked in "hot core". Wonderfully designed bullet but I understand is is hell to produce in volume.

Time will tell if they come on to the market this year yet or not.

I hope so, I really liked them.

Posts: 3992 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry.

The reason I asked is that my new Huntington's catalog arrived yesterday and they are now listing the Deep Shok's as a component item in a limited number of calibers. Hope they are a "real" item.

BTW, Huntington's is also listing the Bear Claws as a component item.

Posts: 306 | Location: Originally from Texas | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought I would revive this thread as I have some news.

I stopped by my local gun store last night and was browsing the reloading components section when I saw a blue label on some boxes in the Speer section. Looking closer, I found that they were 5 boxes of Speer Deep-Shok 165gr, .308 bullets! I immediately grabbed all five and purchased them! (I paid $16.87 (plus sales tax) per box of 100.)

On the bottom of the boxes there is an ATK logo which indicates to me that they were made/supplied by the new owners of Speer. (http://www.atk.com/) That seems to indicate that these boxes are fairly recent production (as opposed to some old inventory that a distributor was just clearing out).

So maybe the Deep-Shoks are finally being produced after all! I hope so. I haven't seen the subject of the Deep-Shoks discussed on here in about a year (see above) so I thought I would share the information. Has anyone else been able to locate any?

-Bob F.

-  -

[ 02-07-2003, 19:44: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, THanks for the update.

We have a Gun Show here in Charlotte, NC 8-9Feb at the Merchandise Mart. I'll keep my eyes open for them there.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bob, that's great news... thanks!

Like Terry I was issued some of these from Federal several years ago as a pre-production test batch... I'd stack them up against Nosler Partition's... a truly fabulous bullet!

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bfaucett,
are you sure they were boxes of 100?? Speer's catalog shows boxes of 50.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:
Bfaucett,

I'm fairly sure they are 100 per box. I'm at work now so I can't check it. I think the box had 100 written on it. I'll check tonight and verify.

-Bob F.

[ 01-31-2003, 20:43: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure, let us know.

Ringo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are sold in 100 count boxes. Speer also is making the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 25 count per box.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, how do you know this?? Have you seen them on the shelf??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:
Bfaucett,

Okay, I checked the boxes after I got home from work. Yep, they are 100 per box. Speer part number 1715; 165 grain, .308".

Also, if you look at the picture I posted above, the bullets in the picture have a regular pointed nose shape. The bullets in my boxes have a small, flat nose. I'd call it a protected point configuration. I got the picture above off http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ and I'd bet it was an early picture from when the bullets were first announced.

-Bob F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo, I used to have an FFL and still get catalogs with these things listed and am still able to order anything but a firearm at wholesale.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool,
At 100 per box for that price, that makes them very accessible.
Once available here in Canada, I'll definitely be working a load up with them.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Ditto

If any one can find a link that has info on this product please post it.
I tried atk link and then went to speer. Nothing.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Boiler, yeah, I went too... nothing. Speer is pretty lax in maintaining their website so hopefully that's the problem... the deepshok's are in the 2002 catalog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did find, on the web, a brief mention of the Deep Shoks that Terry Blauwkamp wrote in his handloading column for the Dallas Safari Club Newsletter. I hope he doesn't mind me posting it here:

Dallas Safari Club Newsletter
Volume XII, Issue III April 2002

Handloading Corner . . . by Terry Blauwkamp

TYPES OF BULLETS

SPEER also has another bullet it has taken over from Federal Cartridge, and it is called DEEP SHOK. Federal loaded it in their factory ammo a few years ago, and now Speer is marketing it as a component item too. It has a VERY pronounced taper to its jacket, and the core is locked into place on the bottom. The core is Speer�s exclusive molten Hot Core to help the bullet stay together. It also has inner flute in the nose to ensure uniform expansion. I have used these bullets, and they were just great on Plains game. For the moderate price asked for them, I cannot help but think they will really get popular fast.

(an Abode Acrobat file.)

To those that have a Speer catalog that lists this bullet, does it give the ballistic coefficient? I haven't been able to locate the B.C. for them.

Thanks,
-Bob F.

[ 02-02-2003, 07:42: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
If any one has Speer 2002... 25cal?
BF.... link wouldnt load ?
I think it's at my end.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you can get them at grafs.com.

Posts: 211 | Location: MT | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
6mm up to 30.
Do they just not sell the 25 or they not made? I'll assume the latter.
Thanks.

[ 02-02-2003, 09:20: Message edited by: boilerroom ]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
They don't list the BC's in the 2002 catalog. I'd imagine they are similar to their regular boat tails.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exsanguinate:

They dont appear to have any in stock. Im looking forward to trying some of these, they look like a well concieved bullet, I wonder how accurate they are?

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Wstrn, when I received a batch of pre-production 30-06 cartridges from Federal to field test I didn't have an 06'... no problem, I pulled the bullets and loaded them in 308 hulls. In my rifle they produced nice 3/4" groups. The Speer photo above shows an exposed lead tip... the one's Federal sent me had a small meplat (no lead)... according to Bob F (above) it sounds like Speer has stuck with the tiny flat point... that's good!

BA

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Tod

Do they list 25 cal. in the 2002?
Do you have any idea of the price range up here in Canada?
Some times the exchange rate does not match up if you know what I mean.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
....<snip>....
BF.... link wouldnt load ?
I think it's at my end.

If you're refering to http://www.biggame.org/Newsletters/200204.Pdf , then you'll need the Adobe Acrobat Reader program / browser plug-in in order to open the file. If you do have Acrobat installed and the link still wouldn't load, then it may have just been a "glitch" at the moment you tried connecting to their web site. Also try http://www.biggame.org/Newsletters/ You'll see a listing of files. 200204.Pdf is the file containing the newsletter I referenced. I just now tried the link and it worked fine.

-Bob F.

[ 02-03-2003, 19:54: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:
Originally posted by exsanguinate:

They dont appear to have any in stock. Im looking forward to trying some of these, they look like a well concieved bullet, I wonder how accurate they are?
Try http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ They are showing some .308" Deep Shoks in stock. Both 165 gr and 180 gr. No other diameters listed right now.

-Bob F.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
Do they list 25 cal. in the 2002?
Do you have any idea of the price range up here in Canada?

If my memory is right, there was the following in the 2002 catalog:

.243" 90 gr.
.277" 140 gr.
.284" 160 gr.
.308" 165 gr. & 180 gr.

The price, when I inquired about them, was $26-36 Cndn for boxes of 50, depending on caliber. I think they said in the catalog that they were boxes of 50. But, the box BFaucett bought were 100 rnds. Who knows?

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, guess what I found on my local Sporting goods stores shelf today.. They had the .308 cal bullets in stock, said they just got them in last week. I snatched up a box of 165s, 100 per box, for roughly $15.00 U.S. The 180s were almost $20.00 per 100. Dont know why Midsouth is advertising them in 50 lots.?? [Confused]

I immediatly took them home and cut one open, I must say I am impressed! Ive opened up Interlocks and what I found with them is that when the core is swaged in, the innerlock ring shaves the edge of the core and leaves a gap, not good. Ive also cut open Nosler BTs, sierras, and hot cores and they all were pretty basic. Not this bullet, the midsection of the jacket on the deep shock is at least "twice as thick as any of the others Ive seen". This should be a very tough bullet! Its jacket is every bit as refined as the pictures make it out to be.

Also the hot core process fills the jacket throughout, this bullet is all that the interlock was meant to be and then some. If I can get them too shoot then I think Ive just found a new favorite. I honestly expect partition like performance from these bullets, maybe better.. [Smile]

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too found two boxes of the .30 cal 180's in a local store yesterday. 19.00 a box. I loaded some up, just need a break in the weather to try them out.

Posts: 17 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr and bumble,

This is great news. Looks like the Deep-Shoks are being produced after all. My guess is that Speer has just recently started production and that they are making the .308" 165gr and 180gr bullets first. Looks like those are just now entering the distribution channels. It also looks like 100 is going to be the quantity per box as well.

At the prices mentioned, this puts the Deep-Shoks in roughly the same price category as Hornady Interlocks, etc. Inexpensive enough for practice but they should be excellent to hunt with also. It's going to be interesting to see what type of feedback is reported once some people start taking game with them. It all looks promising.

-Bob F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Except for the tip, Speer Deep Shock looks like a Lapua Mega.And Lapua Mega is IMO one of the best non-premium bullets.Perhaps SDS is even better?

Posts: 162 | Location: Norway | Registered: 28 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hjortejeger,

You're right. The Deep-Shok and the Lapua Mega do look very similar. I had forgotten about the Megas even though I have 3 boxes of them (.308" 200gr) at home!

-Bob F.

Lapua Mega:

-  -
 -

[ 02-07-2003, 19:46: Message edited by: BFaucett ]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
There is indeed a striking resemblance. Thanks for the pics Bob! If we can expect consistent mushrooms like that one from the SDS then what more can you ask for. That looks perfect. Did you section/shoot those bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
There is indeed a striking resemblance. Thanks for the pics Bob! If we can expect consistent mushrooms like that one from the SDS then what more can you ask for. That looks perfect. Did you section/shoot those bullets?

I wish I could take credit for them but all of the pics of the bullets are from the Speer and Lapua web sites. I haven't fired any of the Deep-Shoks yet. It's been too cold even down here in Texas to spend a day at the range!! [Frown]

Links for a couple of the images used above:
http://www.lapua.com/images/megas2.jpg

http://www.speer-bullets.com/new/new_Images/Deep_Shok_upsets.jpg

-Bob F.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bob, I have some DeepShok's I recovered by firing into sand @ 2,600 fps impact velocity... they look just like the Speer photo and retained 84% weight... impressive bullet!

BA

[ 02-09-2003, 10:04: Message edited by: Brad ]