New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 204 Ruger bullet seating problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

This is what works best. And it is not expensive.
Lyle

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/140461

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure you are getting the crimp off the brass during trim process? I read that the 204 Ruger factory loads have a very sharp roll crimp, and I have felt/seen it on my brass as well. If you don't get this sharp edge off the case, you will never get a bullet in the mouth correctly.

Check for that roll-crimp!!

Jim

Posts: 209 | Location: Heart of the Bluegrass, KY | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jimno2506, I think you've got the answer to why the bullet won't start into case mouth. The brass I have shows a very heavy crimp ring, but to trim to 1.840" my RCBS 3-way cutter dose not remove the crimp. If I use a K&M chamfer tool by hand I can get most of it out and then the bullet will start into case mouth okay but I'm also removing a lot of brass from the neck. Any other suggestions as how to remove the crimp ring and still keep case length at 1.840"?
I may have to wait for Midway to offer the new Winchester 204 Ruger brass in December.

Thanks

Posts: 16 | Location: Milton, WI | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

kolt45
Lee Universal neck expander.
MIDWAY USA
PRODUCT NUMBER 140461
This tool is primarily for loading lead bullets,
But it works great for jacketed flat base bullets.
Hope you can find it.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Dunno if this would work but I'd try it if I had some stuff laying around-

If you have a 22 caliber resizing die laying around (222, 223, 22-250, etc) screw it in but leave 3/8"-1/2" or whatever between the base of the die and the shell holder. Now back the expander all the way up into the die. Put a case into the press and run it up, then run the expander down until you feel it touch, then another 1/8 turn or whatever. See if that will expand the mouth enough to get the crimp out. I'm just guessing at the distances but you get the idea.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote