New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scales
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,
I'm just getting into reloading and the only thing I do not have are scales and a powder measure. I have a set of dippers for the meantime but would like to get scales. I'm starting with 45 colt and 454 casull. I will aslo want to load for 357 and 38 as well as 44 special and 44 magnum.
I really want a balance beam scale I think either a RCBS 10 10 or the Redding master scale.
I would greatly appreciate any comments on these two scales.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For handgun cartridges I'd reccomend a cheap Lee balance - it's still accurate and you'll be able to easily figure-out which dipper to use. Once you know just load with the dipper.

If you were loading for rifle cartridges I'd recommend weighing every charge which is easy using the dippers with an electronic balance - Pact makes a good cheap one. Find the dipper just below the charge and trickle up. Very fast and accurate.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Any of the balance beam scales will do fine as there's really not a dimes worth of difference between them. I have an old RCBS 5-0-5 scale that I bought in 1981 and it's the only one I use. I bought a set of check weights 20 years ago and have never had to do anything with the scales at all. I use my scales for setting my powder measures and for working up small test batches of ammunition.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually strongly prefer the balance beam scale to the "new fangled" electronic models for a whole host of reasons I won't go into here. Any new balance beam will do fine, but if you want to save some money, used balance scales are readily available places like eBay and are often a bargain. Magnetic dampening is faster, but oil dampened scales are just as accurate.

You didn't ask about powder measures, but the Redding is about tops unless you want to spend big bucks for one of the obscure specialty manufacturer measures.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee beam scale and powder measure. I find them easy to use and the powder measure will throw the same charge time after time after time once you set it and tighten down the knurled nut with its o-ring to keep it tight.

A scale and powder measure that we can buy for a few bucks will give us nothing more than a representation of the exact charge. If we wanted to spend a large amount of money (several thousands) we could buy an analytical scale as used in chemistry labs and get accuracy to .0001 grams. We'd certainly get the "exact" charge, but what would we gain beyond that? I think it a better use of money to get a scale that tells us our rifle shoots fine with a charge of 26.3 grains even though an analytical scale would tell us our charge is actually 26.4 grains. It's all relative... You go with what works and don't worry that you might be 1/10 grain away from the true, exact and final charge weight, whatever it might be.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the replies. Appears that any will work fine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by edgarc:
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the replies. Appears that any will work fine.

And any can lie. If the beam balance ones get gunk in the knife edge area they can loose a lot of accuracy. Puting the counter weights in the wrong position isn't all that difficult either.

For favourite loads I use a homemade check weight from copper wire, in various shapes, and this confirms my setting and zero.
So keep em clean and covered when not in use.
JL

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fjold. I got a RCBS 505 in my rock chucker kit, and have found it to be very accurate to .1 gr. It's cheap too.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote