New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help loading 30-06 and 7828 ssc
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Like many people today, I am running low on my usual powders.

I'm going to Africa next spring with my son in law (his first trip) and will be taking my 30-06 and his new Kimber Montana 30-06 for plains game. Going to be loading Nosler 180 ballistic tip and 180 Partitions

I know there are better powder choices but I have several pounds of 7828 ssc that I have used to great success in my 280 Rem with 160 gr Partitions

I'm doing load development now and will not have time in a couple of months so have to get it done now.

If you have used 7828 and can give me some ideas, I'd appreciate it

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have not used it, but you will find that it is way too slow for a 30-06 and velocities will be slow. I would load like black powder; stuff the case full. I am not recommending that you do that though. Work up loads just like for any other powder.
Have fun in Africa.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has 30-06 data with a 190 grain bullet and imr 7828. That should give you a good idea where to start.

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I would use a heavier bullet (200 gr) and a magnum primer. I used up some h1000 a while back in the same fashion. Again, not the greatest accuracy/velocity/anything but it did achieve its purpose of slinging lead down range

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it, I ran this combo in Quickload. I do not like to publish load data in public, so check your PMs. It will be there shortly. As a teaser, it shows about 2800 fps.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR7828 SSC should do fine in an '06 with 180's or heavier. I haven't used it in that particular application, but I have used plenty of Surplus 4831 with a 180 Nosler for 2780 chronographed fps. In a number of other applications (.243/100, 270/130, .338/225) I've found that approximately 3% more of IMR7828SSC produces results very close to Surplus 4831. Since the SSC granules pack more densely in the case you can get that 3% more powder even when your 4831 load completely fills the case (as it does in the instance of the .30-06 with 180's).

My advice would be to load a couple of rounds with just a tad less of IMR7828SSC than the case will hold and if that load shows no pressures (which it won't), then put as much powder as you can comfortably seat a bullet over and you'll get about 100fps higher velocity than with factory 180's -- which should be plenty to take a wildebeest, oryx, or kudu.

Work up your loads with the less expensive Ballistic Tips (since they shoot in an identical fashion to their Accubond counterparts), then load the Accubonds for the actual hunt. I haven't found the Accubonds "too hard" for any game, and while the Ballistic Tips would probably do fine you might as well used the Accubonds for certainty.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I replaced my 4350 with 7828 ssc in my 340 Wby. What a difference. Good accuracy and fps of 3260 with 200 grain Noslers. Very happy, Optik1.

Posts: 375 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote