New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large differences in powder weights
 Login/Join

posted
Hello All,

I'm from the UK and posting for the first time on this excellent forum - so I hope I'm in the right place.

This is my set up -

Ruger Hawkeye .243, 1:9 twist
87gr Hornady Soft Point bullets
Winchester brass and primers
Vhit N140 powder

I have fired my first ever set of homeloads and have now neck sized the once fired brass, so I am starting load development again.

The problem is this - I read very different powder weight ranges depending on where I look.

Hornady have a powder weight range of 29.6 - 36.6.

While the vhit web site 2008 data has a range of 35.2 - 40.1

That is a big difference. Last time I started at 34.3 gr which was from the old 2006 vhit data. It's worth noting the vhit has just increased the maximum from their 2006 data by 2 gr.

I was getting some low pressure signs with the new brass down around 35-36gr., but nothing major.

Where do you suggest I start ?!

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am always inclined toward the bullet manufacturer's data. Oftentimes, the powder company or other data source references only a generic bullet weight and not the specific bullet in question, but this is not always the case, and I don't know specifically what Vhit does. They may be using data developed specifically for that bullet.

But either way, that's a huge difference in powder charge even if we're only talking a generic 87 grain bullet. And as you likely know, too small a powder charge can be more dangerous than too much.

Have you called them both to verify there's no misprints?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No one uses the exact same platform for working up loads. What is safe in your rifle may not be in mine, same w/ test receivers or rifles used by bullet & powder manuf. It's why I use at least two, three sources are better, to avg. the data & then work up from there. Sometimes you can go beyond "max" & sometimes you can not. Also, all bullets are not the same. A Nosler partition is not the same as a Hornady IL. Jacket & core hardness, bearing surfaces, etc. all play into what is a max. load.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi

Just to clarify, it's for the exact same Hornady 87gr HPBT bullet.

Regards.

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
If you have already started at 34.3 and had low pressure signs,I would start there .Go up in 1 grain increments,say 10 rounds at each charge weight,until your satisfied.I didnt see where any of your components had changed,just the load data maximum.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1). To date the obvious, the .243 was developed from the .308, also known as 7.62x51 NATO.

Point: Many, many variety of cases are available. Not all are exactly the same. You can sort them roughly by weight. Still.

#2). You are correct, this is quite a range. But, powders do change. Most are made around government, as in military, contracts and sports shooters get adaptations...

#3). As suggested, variations in the bullet used to develop the loads is also a "variable."

#4). I would google the cartridge and save most of the data I find to compare. Obviously avoid a lot of duplication. You should see some averages and some ravings about "best load" (for MY rifle...) and then

#5). As suggested, work up slowly, carefully. Nothing wrong with Rugers. You read your case sign carefully and find what the gun likes... Hopefully you will be very happy. Hopefully. Happy trails. luck.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Horndies data was built around a Hornady brand brass and Fed 210 primers, VV used Lapua brass and and doesn`t list a primer I can see. That plus variations in the powder lot, chamber/barrel geometry, people doing the testing, ect, can easily cause the variation you see.
Nothing is cut in stone when reloading. I`d start at the avg of the listed starting loads in your books and work up. Watch for your pressure signs and back off if and when they appear.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I tend to go with the powder manufacturer's recommendation. However, when I use an internet published charge range, I try to verify it by finding that listed from two different sources. I'm a little leery of a higher recommended charge unless I can verify it from another source. In any case I always work up from a known good low charge to higher charges, watching for pressure signs as I go.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
"Every rifle is an individual. What may prove to be a maximum load in one may be quite mild in another, and vice versa." Bob Hagel

What Mr. Hagel said is the basic fact of life for a person who handloads ammunition. The rifle(s) (not to mention brass, primers, bullets, etc.) used by the various publishers of reloading data are all different from yours-their maximum published load may be too much for your rifle, or not enough, even if all other variables are the same! Therefore, you must pick any reloading manual, and start with the lowest published load for a given bullet weight and powder type, proceeding from there to develop the load which best meets your requirements, IN YOUR OWN rifle.

The fact that the various companies publishing loading data give different charges for a particular powder & bullet weight means only one thing - they didn't all use the same rifle for their load development work!

It pains me whenever I hear "never exceed book maximum loads!!" This generates the next question: "Which maximum load should I not exceed??" There are often a number of maximum loads found in the different publications, and how do you know which is truely a maximum load FOR YOUR RIFLE?? Simple answer! You don't! You have to develop it yourself! To do this, you must learn to read pressure signs, and also learn how to avoid loading to excessive pressures.

There are a number of ways to avoid using too much of a given powder, but I hesitate to try to describe such things, because this subject is one which engenders great controversy, usually generating more heat than light. I could SHOW you, but since you live in the U.K., it is not practical to try to do so......

Good luck!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote