Find
Notify
Tools

H380 in 8x57
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I went to the local gun shop and the only rifle powder they had was one can of IMR 7828, and several one lb bottles of H380. They had primers too - enough but not a lot. So, I bought some H380, but have no experience with it.

Also, just arrived from the gunsmith, I have a newly assembled 8x57 on a Mark X action, barrel maker unknown, since I got a good deal on it off gunbroker, prechambered and threaded. I felt pretty good about it and figured it wasn't a shaw or adams & bennet since it has an odd custom contour. I tried some factory Hornady 195 gr factory ammo, and it is nicely accurate. So, I ordered a box of Hornady bullets from Midway. Now to make some handloads.

Hopefully the H380 is a good choice, since that's all that's available right now. I heard that it is best in smaller calibers, and that it makes a big fire ball in anything bigger than 308.

Does anyone have experience with this powder especially in 8x57?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've tried it in several of mine.. it did a good job...

it is also one of my preferred powders in the 338/06 with bullet wts from 200 to 250.. higher velocity and stellar accuracy...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to find some 195 hornadys around here for a while. Plenty of Speer 200 grainers at years ago prices, so i have been loading those. I have been using mainly IMR powders, but am going to load up some with AA250. Isn't it a great round?

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I have quite a varity of powder but it's all stored in another town. I'm going there in July, and between fishing trips, I'm going to try to figure a way to get some powder and primers and other reloading stuff here where I live now. I think I can ship it by freight barge. USPS, checked baggage, UPS, etc. definately won't work. Can't drive from there to here, so it's a quandry.

I wouldn't feel handicapped at all shooting 200 gr speer bullets in the 8x57.

It took a long time for me to "discover" the 8x57, now I wonder what took so long.

KB

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have shot quite a few 200 Speers in the 8x57. Very good on game. Shot one 200 + LB buck in upstate NY in the chest/just under the throat, at 10 yards running towards me on the trail and recovered the bullet in his spine between the hips. I was setting and he was coming uphill thus the angle. It flattened him and he gave a death bellow like I have never heard before or since. Shot several side to side and never recovered the bullet. At the time, I was pulling 198 GR. ball from the machine gun ammo and setting the Speers down on that load. Warm...but that is what I had at the time. No warmer than the machine gun Portuguese ammo itself I might say. Very good stuff.
Have never used the 196 Hornaday but it can't be "better" than the 200 Speer. Not in the 8x57. If it is as good, it is great.
best regards,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My 'got to' bullets in the 8 x 57 are the 170 grain Speer SMP and the 175 grain Sierra....they more than do the job asked of them, regardless of velocity...especially the Speer SMP...which is my favorite of the two..

sure wish they still made the Speer 225 grain SMP for that cartridge...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't shoot 8x57, but looking at my old Lyman manual, it should do well - good burn rate. For a 220 gr. bullet, 42.0 gr.(max) got 2100 fps. Min charge, 36.9 gr. got 1800 fps.