Find
Notify
Tools

Barns x
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
CoolI've used accubond in the past with good success but I'm wondering about barn x. Any thoughts. I'm told by my local store they faster more accurate and better for my rifle. Sounds too good to be true?????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Saying that a bullet is faster or more accurate than another is for the most part an ignorant statement used to get you to buy the box of bullets.

They are said to work well on game, I have not used them, but customers have always given me both good and bad results.

Just like anything else, instead of wasting time on asking everyone else's opinion and stories, save yourself the trouble and tell us how they did.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
If they aren't the TSX design, he's just trying to unload old stock.....

The TSX is a terrific game bullet. So is the Accubond. If you have a load worked up with the Accubond, the TSX won't give you anything you can't live without. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Dutch says...balogny. I'd either avoid the shop altogether or at least avoid anything that salesman says or promotes.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Dutch

Make sure they are Triple Shock Barnes, not just regular X bullets. World of difference.

Out of 9 guns that I have spent time working up a load for in the past year, every one shoots the TSX bullets with the most accuracy.

I'v got a problem lightweight 30-06 that will shoot the TSX's consistently into a 1 1/2". Like to do better so have tried Accubonds, Trophy Bonded, Failsafes, Nosler Ballistic Tips, Sierra Match Kings, Scirrocos, Nosler Partitions, and North Forks. The TSX's are clearly more accurate in that gun and every other gun.

You should try the Triple Shocks. thumb

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
The Triple Shocks are sure easier to get accurate loads
for, over the original Barnes X bullets.

As for on game performance, both the X and the TSX,
need to hit bone, to insure excellent bullet performance,
in thin skinned game. Although, the .30 cal 130 gr. X
bullet, has had some pretty impressive results, on yearling
management deer, shot through the rib cage only.
If I wanted a certain BANG FLOP, I'd try to just catch
the back of the shoulder blade, or spine shoot,
with the TSX/XBT, on a trophy buck. On elk, or bear,
I'd just do the usual vitals shot placement.

With any plastic tip bullet, I'd be a little concerned about
a high velocity hit(magnum rifle round loaded warm,
at close range), on a shoulder blade hit. It would probably
be lethal, but the bullet would not likely pass through.
Conversely, I have seen a 15 yard hit on a northern
whitetail, by a 300 WM, shooting a deep penetration
bullet, make a .30 cal hole in, and out, with very little
energy transfer, which overwhelmed the shooter's tracking
skills, and tested mine.

Me personally, I use Barnes TSX and XBT bullets for
big game, and use the poly tipped bullets for varmints,
and predators. If I shot a lower velocity load(<2600 fps),
for whitetails, then I'd be looking at an Accubond.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Good advice squeeze

My method with the TSX is to make a judgement in the field. If the deer or hog is within 150 - 200 yards, aim for the shoulder. If it is over 200 yards, aim behind the shoulder for heart/lung. After 200 yards the velocity is reduced where the bullet has enough time to expand properly.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

We have used teh original Barnes X bullets for a number of years in Africa, and found them extremely good.

They are very accurate in our rifles, and have counted for sveral hundred game animals, ranging from cape buffalo to duikers.

In fact, before we started making our own bullets, we used nothing but the Barnes X.

These are Barnes X bullets we have recovered from game animals in Africa. All were 300 grain 375 caliber, shot out of our 375/404.

300 grain Barnes X shot from the 375/404 at 100 yards.

Our own lathe turned Walterhog bullets, shot from the 375/404 at 100 yards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Gentlemen,

We have used the original Barnes X bullets for a number of years in Africa, and found them extremely good.

They are very accurate in our rifles, and have counted for sveral hundred game animals, ranging from cape buffalo to duikers.

In fact, before we started making our own bullets, we used nothing but the Barnes X.

These are Barnes X bullets we have recovered from game animals in Africa. All were 300 grain 375 caliber, shot out of our 375/404.

300 grain Barnes X shot from the 375/404 at 100 yards.

Our own lathe turned Walterhog bullets, shot from the 375/404 at 100 yards.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hornhunter
posted Hide Post
My experience with the old Barnes X was very poor. Four calibers, six guns, group sizes increased with everything.

A lot of guys on this forum praise the TSX bullet. In spite of the sour taste I have for Barnes, they've convinced me the TSX is worth the cost of a couple of boxes.

Posts: 46 | Location: Lake Jackson, Texas | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
It has been said that the larger the caliber the easier it is to make a concentric bullet. In my own experience, the 2 times I tried regular Barnes X bullets (270 and 300), they would not group well at all. Both those rifles shoot the Triple Shocks with excellent accuracy.