New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumblers Tumbler
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Years ago I was not familar with Thumblers Tummblers and saw one at a garage sale for $3. I didn't buy it--I thought a kids toy. Then some time later at another garage sale I saw another and did buy it for $3.( I can't believe an item that cost over $100 was being sold for $3). I have since learned what a good value they are. Right from the start one thing I didn't like was it didn't have a switch--have to plug/unplug everytime. This was easily corrected, got a toggle switch from Lowes and wired it in---to gain access had to drill two pop rivets and once inside it is easy to figure where to hook up switch. The case has several vent holes just use one of them for the switch. It looks like it was done by the factory---and it should have been. In time the belt broke. This is a little more trouble than just buying a new belt, but make one out of leather. Get a piece of heavy leather and using a strip knife cut a strip the width of the thickness---you now have a square piece of leather with 4 sharp corners. Using an edging tool knock off those corners. Now roll this leather strip by hand over a hard flat surface. This will round it. You can put a heavy dose of neetsfoot oil on it, it will help with the rounding process. Now put it on the two pulleys of the Tumbler and cut to length where the two ends butt up. About 1'8th inch from ends make a small hole with an awl. You can use a large staple bent into place, wire, or even very heavy fishing line to attach. After much use it will stretch--just trim one end and reattach. After initial stretch you are good for years. Been using mine well over 10 years. My Tumbler was made in 1988 and it started getting hard to start. Wouldn't budge when power applied. I chucked the pulley into my drill press and spun it and it freed up. Then if I went very long between using it, I had to spin it off by hand to get it started. Took the two pop rivets off removed cover where I could get to it and oiled the bearings with ATF and it seems to be fixed. Most motors burn up if in a bind, this thing has amazed me. I have considered buying either stainless or ceramic media and wished I had experience with them to know. Appreciate any feedback you may have if you have used either.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I take it you have one of the Rotary tumblers? I have both a model A and B.

I am using stainless media in the Model B and love it. I don't think I'll ever use my Thmlers vibratory cleaner again except maybe to clead dreck off of range pick up brass before sizing & depriming.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Z1R--Yes a rotary model T. With stainless media do you use it wet?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one with SS pin media. It works great but you need to dry the cases afterwards or leave them in the sun. You add water and dishwashing liquid. If you want a good shine Lemishine should be added in minute quantities. I tumble for 3 hours. Cases look new. Clean inside and out and generally even the primer pockets are clean. I recommend the media segregator. Rinsing and seperating is a bit of a PITA but worth it.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote