Find
Notify
Tools

.357 SIG
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Anyone load for the .357 Sig? What dies do you use & has anyone tried the Dillon dies? I am getting a bbl. for my Colt Delta & want to reload for it. Any load info. would also be appreciated.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I have the DILLON dies on my 550B, they work fine. Their taper crimp dies are first rate and NEEDED on this ctg. The neck is very short so you need to use a .357 SIG specific bullet. I use the 125 FMJ's from Montana Gold bullets in Kalispell. Cheap plus designed for THIS application. Accuracy is very good.
I use 13.3 grs of AAC #9 with the MT Gold 125 fmj at an over all ctg length length of 1.140", Also a firm taper crimp. Std small pistol primer. I get 1300 fps with very good accuracy and case life. We have shot several thousand of these in our Dept SIG 229's with zero problems. Bullet setback is THE problem with this ctg and reloads. The AAC#9 fills the case so if a neck grip slips hopefully the bullet will not slip TOO far back into the case. I have seen a few .357 SIG cases that had been fired with bullet setback and they looked like an overload in a RIFLE case; smeared primers,bulged,even the unsupported section blown out on one of them. That case was taken out of a blown up gun. NOT pretty.

We just did a range day today and we fired 650 rds, zero problems.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Frank, you've got mail.
Thanks Steve, any preference for powders getting a 125grFMJ to 1300fps / good accuracy?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Safarischorsch>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Anyone load for the .357 Sig? What dies do you use & has anyone tried the Dillon dies? I am getting a bbl. for my Colt Delta & want to reload for it. Any load info. would also be appreciated.

357SIG- Very nice.
I use a dillon carbid die, too. You can use usual .355 bullets but you they must be designed like the special 357SIG bullets. For example the 95grain magtech TMJ is great. A good powder for the 357SIG is Power pistol. i load up to 11,6grain for the 95 grain magtechs.