New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for 300H&H.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just became the proud owner of a pre-64 Win model 70 it has a 27" SS barrel with a one in ten & one half twist and is chambered in 300H&H mag and has a 2.5x10x56 Schmidt & Bender scope.I would like some suggestions for some accuracy loads. What bullet weights would work best with this twist,what powders are best in this cartridge?
Thank you for your help
Wayne

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited 12-28-2001).]

Posts: 40 | Location: Yuba City California | Registered: 02 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
That doesn't sound like a factory Winchester barrel for that rifle. It is also a little slow on the twist, so I would stay within the 150 to 168 grain bullet weights.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayne:
I just became the proud owner of a pre-64 Win model 70 it has a 27" SS barrel with a one in ten & one half twist and is chambered in 300H&H mag and has a 2.5x10x56 Schmidt & Bender scope.I would like some suggestions for some accuracy loads. What bullet weights would work best with this twist,what powders are best in this cartridge?
Thank you for your help
Wayne Congrats on the great gun...I have a P64 1953 model 70 that is factory except for decellerator pad and I use 165 to 200 grain bullets in loads for it....IMR/H 4350 seems to work well for these weights of bullets and gives top/near top velocity in my gun....I do use a mag primer to get good ignition in that long powder column,just for paper shooting any bullet will work ...for game I would go for performance bullets sized for the type/build of game....enjoy the gun, I spent last night prepping a new batch of WW 300H/H brass for mine that Santa brought....good luck and good shooting!!!!

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited 12-28-2001).]

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an old Sako bolt that was rebarreled with a 24" Hart barrel. I have done some of my longest one shot deer and elk kills with that rifle. I settled on a 180 partition and IMR4831 with a WW lg rifle primer. I get right at 3000 fps and its sub moa out as far as 300 yds. Shot a few deer and two elk at 350 yds + and the old, obsolete, don't need a belt, too long a powder column, ancient, .300 H&H killed them all in short order with a single shot.
Great old cartridge. H4350 and IMR4350 also worked well with 165's and 180's the only two weights I loaded for. For the heavy stuff the 200 partitons are a nice bullet too.

Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote