Find
Notify
Tools

CH "H" (co-axial) press question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DMB, SLVFX and anyone else who might have one of these:

i finally got this press mounted tonight and then went out to help my dad mount his new lee classic turret press. i discovered that his press has a (forgive my lack of vocabulary) c-chaped spring-like whatchamacallit that locks the shell holder to the ram. i had noticed a groove for one on my CH press but had never known the purpose for it; now it appears that it is an empty space where a similar c-lock goes on the CH press.

question is, how does one go about replacing this piece? will a replacement part form another press (lee etc.) do it, or does one need to contact forester, who makes a similar press? is this something that a person can get a a hardware store? or can it be fashioned from somethng else? worst-case scenario - do i have to look all over the place for that actual replacement piece?

it seems that i can use a shell holder without this locking clamp, but i am sure that it serves a purpose of making sure the shell holder doesn't move, so i am reluctant to use the press until i have a replacement, if one can be had.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
It seems that i can use a shell holder without this locking clamp, but i am sure that it serves a purpose of making sure the shell holder doesn't move, so i am reluctant to use the press until i have a replacement, if one can be had.

CH4D is still in business and can probably help you out. With that, some feel that the shellholder having some compliance is beneficial, and use a rubber O-ring for a retainer. Available at your local ACE. Measure the OD of the ram slot and its height. Spec the ring accordingly.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks, winchester!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one bit of good news is that i did find tucked away in a box two CH shell holders for this press. they are part of an incho-or-so-long piece with threads on the bottom that presumably go into the ram. this leads me to suspect that what is in there now is a "universal adapter" for universal shell holders (such as lee's).
it looks like what you do is take use a wrench to take the "universal adapter" out (which is what is in now) and you can wrench these shell holders in.

i only use two shell holders, so ths loks like a good alternative, but i would still like to make or otherwise get a spring-clamp so that i can use the universal adapter if needed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to CH4D site and their 'Universal H-Ram' which I think is what you probably have in the press now. An adaptor to take everyone elses common size shell holders. The older CH4D presses originally used those separate ram-heads with the shell holder cut into it for each caliber. (Herters did the same thing and you can buy a similar adaptor for those old presses from RCBS & CH4D)

Give CH4D a shout by email,,they probably have the snap ring clip you need for retaining the shell holders in place. It's probably the same part as used on their current HD Champion Press.

I've got one of the old 'H' presses and it came with a universal shellholder in place like yours did plus a few of the older rams in a box. People must have gotten tired of those!
I have mine set up for loading 44-40 and leave it that way but it's a good press and have used it in the past for everything from 38special to 30-06.

http://www.ch4d.com/

Go to 'Presses'..then click on 'Universal H-Ram' if the page doesn't come right up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks, 2152 - i did find what you mentioned and will email the company tomorrow to see about a replacement snap ring clip!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas,

I have had a predacessor CH 3H press for over 30 years. Long ago I found out that the CH H-Ram (which have evolved into the CH (Universal H-Ram) are difficult to use to change out shell holders (e.g. you have have to use a wrench to loosen the nut to pull the stemm up enough to get the shell holder out).

I fixed that problem long ago. I took a rasp file and filed a notch into the cast iron in front of the each station where I had an H-Ram installed (Since I have an old 3H press, that was only three stations and three notches). Now -- instead of using a wrench to remove each H-Ram) all I have to do to change out a shell holder is to slide the shell holder out of the H-Ram throuch the notch I filed in front of each station. Thus my H-Rams stay installed permanently and I change out shell holders very easily by rotating them out of the H-Ram with finger pressure.

BTW...I love my old CH press and even though I have had other presses I settled on using the CH as my primary press years ago and would not change it for the world.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I noticed that your press was set up for the old style, single unit shell holders in the earlier thread, and I was going to suggest you get one that allows for the interchangeable shell holders of today. I forgot to mention it however.
Somewhere along the way, I found one with the large "C" spring clip that holds the regualar shell holders of today in place. But, I just don't remember where I got mine 50 years ago; probably from C-H???
I still have in a tool drawer several of the large, old style single unit shell holders; the ones you install by removing the nut at the bases to the shell holder. Have not used any of them for many moons.
Sorry I can't point you to a source for them today.
Ron, if you want the old style single shell holders I have so you can load different case head ammo, send me a PM with your address and I'll mail them to you. I really don't remember what case heads they are for, but when I get back from breakfast this AM, I'll dig them out and check them, and let U know.

Don

posted Hide Post
Ron,
I ordered my snap in shell holder from C&H. It was a great update to the old press. That was many moons ago but I'm pretty sure they still have them. I think you will find you have a good older press that will turn out fine reloads.

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
guys - i'm liking it so far - but haven't yet done any "serious" loading yet, just a few .308 cases to get the feel for things.

can you guys tell me if a lee ram prime will work with the press? lee's catalog says that it will work with all presses, but i'd hate to buy it and then find different. i currently use the lee auto prime and am satisfied with that, but i figure it would be nice to have the option of using the ram prime....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tasunkawitko:
Can you guys tell me if a lee ram prime will work with the press? lee's catalog says that it will work with all presses, but i'd hate to buy it and then find different. i currently use the lee auto prime and am satisfied with that, but i figure it would be nice to have the option of using the ram prime....

Screws in like a die. I wouldn't expect any physical feedback during priming. Turn your back on that press and it may prime a case for you.