New
Find
Notify
Tools

N 550 in .375 H&H
 Login/Join

<hd352802>
posted
Has anyone of you any experience with VithaVuori N 550 in .375 H&H Mag?
Quickload predict magnificent results,but messuring the loads gives a totally other picture:much less velocity as promised,but no sings of pressure.Maybe the powder is slower as assumed? Thanks for any help,the ammunition is to be used for a buffalo hunt.
Hugh

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think N560 might be a better choice. It's a bit slower. I use both N550 and N560 powders in various calibers I reload for and find them to be terrific. Mind you I don't own the caliber you listed so don't take it as gospel. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Cal,thank you for your answer,I use N560 in .300 Win.Mag. works good,but I believe it's to slow in .375,more room in the barrel.The N550 load I use is already 100% fillrate.
Hugh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hd352802:
Has anyone of you any experience with VithaVuori N 550 in .375 H&H Mag?
Quickload predict magnificent results,but messuring the loads gives a totally other picture:much less velocity as promised,but no sings of pressure.Maybe the powder is slower as assumed? Thanks for any help,the ammunition is to be used for a buffalo hunt.
Hugh

I have quickLOAD and I have to say that I disbelieve some of it's theorising on the slower end of powders and find it slightly optimistic in MV.

If N550 is reliable in ignition, accurate enough for the job in hand and give approximately industry standard MV then surely it should do? The lack of pressure will presumably be an advantage in the hotter climate of Africa.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Could one of you nice fellows with Quckload post these marvelous predictions?

I promise not to blow myself up! You sure have me curious though!

The Vihtavuori powders are ones that I can easily get, and I sure like their other powders!

jpb

[ 05-12-2003, 20:03: Message edited by: jpb ]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<hd352802>
posted
Some of the Quickload predictions are amazingly correct,others are dangerously optimistic,for instance:.243 Win. You still have to develop your load in the conventional way,but it's nice to "make" all kinds of loads without any costs,even for the biggest Nitro Epress or Super Magnum.
Hugh.