New
Find
Notify
Tools

craziest reloading story
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, yes, Jerry Sweet is now running for every legislative office in Ada County.

Bruce Priddy used to work for them when they had the big store on Fairview.

Funny/Stupid story about that place: one of their gun store commando's (also taught the CWL classes for them) had this young couple in looking at self defense handguns. They are settled on a revolver, and this moron is telling the guy the best way to carry a snubbie is in an ankle holster. Tells the lady she and hubby can share the holster when she wears pants suits, since the adjustment will allow it to fit both. Just to show them how neat it is, he does a leg whip up on to the top of the glass counter top and reaches for the revolver at the same time. His heel hits the glass top, breaks the glass and goes far enough into the case to break the next layer of glass with 15-20 handguns laying on it. He is screaming bloody murder, blood is flying everywhere from some rather serious glass cuts, and he still manages to draw the snubbie. Yepper, the S&W does go off when he squeezes the trigger, and people every where are ducking and screaming. It was the funniest/scariest thing I had seen since I left Vietnam. Takes three store employees to lift this 5'9" 260 pounder out of the glass case. By time they do, the cops are there. The lady faints, the husband is white as a sheet, as are five or six other customers. The cops haul him off to the hospital, he is treated for the glass cuts, and then they arrest him.

I go back in two weeks later, and he is still employed! When the story hits the papers, the state yanks his CWL; and eventually the NRA does the same thing to his instructor's certification.

As my one uncle would have said "it was the goddamnedest thing I ever seen..."

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had a guy ask me how hard it was to reload? His quote was, just knock the primer thingy out and put a new one in, fill the case with powder and put a bullte in, viola a reload!! nothing about cleaning, inspecting, resizing, measuting, priming,seating, or READING. My comment was that it was harder than he thinks, and they shouldn't let idiots reload!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I was working up some loads for a Rem heavy barrel 22-250. Also watching the three young daughters as the wife was out and about. I was trying to get seating length figured out, I put a bullet in an unsized case, closed the bolt to get a read on where the lands were. I've used this method before (and since), the bullet sticks in the lands if seated out too far, have to tap it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle. Should mention that the kids had bent one section of the rod so it was a bit short. Also should mention that as you can imagine this loading session had many interruptions. Long story short, the shortened forgotten cleaning rod exited the bore at approximately the same time as the bullet from my first test round. Slight powder burn and ringing ears. The bolt handle was almost broken off by the time I beat it open. Remington gave me a decent deal on a new rifle.

Take home message: keep childcare and reloading separate. Distracted loading is dangerous!

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote