New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chrony
 Login/Join

<MOA>
posted
Which is the best cheap chronograph. I'm probably gonna order the chrony beta model. Are these any good?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are a good deal for the money. Not as fancy and won't do as many functions as some of the others, but I've checked the accuracy of the one I have against an Ohler and there was only a small (2fps avg) differance between the two, and sometimes not even that. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
I have an old Shooting Chrony, well before printers, remote readouts, and shot memory were available. The only problem I have had was the day I put a bullet right through the skyscreens.

<Abe Normal>
posted
MOA,

I've reprinted my comments on the use of my Beta Chrony below; I've also included the URL to the original post.
Abe----------------------->>>

I also have the "Beta" model Crony, I've had mine for almost three years now and it's functioned for me without problems of any sort. It seems a reasonably accurate piece of equipment, but after reading Matt Norman's post regarding muzzle blast affecting the readings I think some testing of my machine will be the next order business at the range.
The thing I dislike about the Chrony's is that it's got 50 or so functions that are to be preformed with only three buttons. What I'm getting at is that if you don't use a function regularly and don't remember the push button sequence, you had better have the instruction manual handy or you�re out of luck brother! Further, it seems as though the thing has 1500 "error" codes (maybe ten or so really) that again if you've not got the instruction sheet handy, well you get the picture. The long and short of it is, make several copies of the manual and always keep one with your Crony.
I do however like the optional printer that's offered, I picked one up about a year ago, it's a great little add on tool, makes keeping track of an afternoon at the range very easy. What I've taken up doing is to attach the printout of shots fired to the target, make a note about weather conditions, date, rifle used, load data, and so on. Then put it all in a three ring binder for future reference. I find this record keeping method to be very easy to search back through for a particular bullet/cartridge/powder/primer combo that worked well for a particular rifle.

Topic:
Shooting Chrony(Gamma Model)

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/002921.html

------------------
Abe

If everyone thought like me, I'd be a damn fool to think any differently!

<Chainsaw>
posted
Which is the best cheap chronograph? Normally those two words best and cheap don't go together, but in this case I have found my F1 Chrony to be close to that description.

I like the simplicity of the unit. Along with a tri-pod and pencil and pad, this unit seems to fit the bill for me.

As for the more involved Beta, I decided to go the pencil and pad route.-----Chainsaw

<TomJ>
posted
There was a post here a couple days ago where they put a Shooting Chrony inside the span of an expensive brand and they were within 2 fps of each other.

posted Hide Post
I have owned or used them all and consider my Chrony an absolute treasure. Accurate readings,not at all tempermental about changing conditions and 67 times faster to get set AND get done with the days work. For outdoor chronographing, it is all I need.
Heck, I don't even use the screens!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote