Find
Notify
Tools

Lachmiller Primer Press & Herter's Shellholders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted
I was fortunate to get a Lachmiller primer press off Ebay with a 30/06 shellholder for priming 22/250, .308, and 30/06 brass. Unfortunately, the shellholder has been thru the wars and so heavily chipped; shell casings slop around in it a lot.

I have looked at Herter's shellholders on Ebay and they look remarkably similar. Are they interchangable?

If not, RCBS (who bought Lachmiller) makes a special order adapter for the Lachmiller that allows owners to use standard RCBS shellholders. Does anyone here use the adapter? I question whether the primer ram is long enough if the adapter is in use, or does RCBS also provide a longer ram? Thanx! bewildered

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have this web site for Herters shell holders if that is what you can use.

http://www.vegatool.com/

I had an adapter made for my Herters press a few years before I ever saw the RCBS one. It set the shell holder about a 1/4" higher and the primer tool does not fit through a the holder. HTH

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me look around, I may actually have a few Lachmiller shell holders someplace. I just have to figure out where someplace is. I believe I still have a couple sets of their dies.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, Vega Tool (where I got my B&M clone) has recently downsized out of existence.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote