New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accubond 180 300 RUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
here is my recipe for the 300 ultra 180gr. swift sciroco Rem brass Reloader 22 87grains overall cartrage length is 3.623 thats what shot the beat and it is great. just tryed to load some accubonds 180gr and the tapper of the accubond will not crimp or will not stay in place they move in the neck. I can't seat the bullet out any because of the magazine box.any othe bullets to try that are less $$$$$$$$

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of bullets out there that are less expensive, but what are you trying to accomplish? It appears that you are wanting to shoot a bonded, polymer tipped bullet. If this is the case, they are more expensive. The scirocco's seem more expensive than the accubonds due to being packed in 100's. The interbond by Hornady is a little cheaper, but if you are looking for this type of bullet and you have found one that shoots well why worry about a few dollars per hundred.

If you truly want something cheaper then shoot conventional cup and draw bullets...hornady interlocks or similar.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a custom gun that was given to me and the load was design and built for the gun just looking for another load maybe i should just shoot this load but just like to play around with diferent loads just disapointed when the 180 accus did not work wanted to see if any thing else shot good in it. thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the accubonds move around in the neck, apparently you are not properly sizing the neck. I would have a look at your sizing die/procedure and determine the problem. I load 180 and 200 grain accubonds in my 300 RUM and they are very accurate. I don't crimp my rifle loads with the exception of my 30-30 loads.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded 200gr Accubonds for my 300 RUM custom (tight neck) rifle
84 gr RL 25 give 2950 fps

also tried NorthFork 180 gr over 93 gr RL 25 to 3360 fps

Barnes XLC 168gr over 93 gr RL 25 3320 fps

appears you dont have enough neck tension

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have RCBS neck sizing dies and that all i do.
thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the first time with neck sizing how do you get more neck tension???? I have my die set so it looks like it sizes the whole neck .

one of us
posted Hide Post
take your micrometer to the expander ball. If that expander ball is more than or just at .308",..you have an oversized expander and that is where your lack of neck tension is coming from. Usually,..a standard, non-bushing die will lend .003"-.005" of neck tension.

These cases that you are using,...were they from the original owner? if so,..I am betting they have been turned down at the neck to make them thinner. If this is the case,..you will have to either buy new unturned brass,..or switch to a bushing style neck die whick allows you to choose a bushing appropriate to the neck wall thickness.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Justc, thanks for the info I will try this any advice on what non-bushing die to get. I checked the expander ball it is .308"

Thanks MTHunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest redding "s" series dies if you don't have an arbor press. If you have an in-line press then I say Wilson dies all the way.

You may try removing the expander ball from your decapping rod. That may be a quick fix for your problem. Other than that,..find a neck wall thickness micrometer (or tubing mic) and check the thickness of the necks at all 4 corners (4 equally distant points). If you have a custom barrel,..you may have a tight neck chamber which necessitated the turning of the necks to fit inside the chamber. If your necks are in the .013"-.011" range,..they have almost certainly been turned down. If so,.you'll need to use a bushing die to get tension on the necks because the standard factory style neck die will be set to size unturned brass and provide neck tension in much larger dia chambers. It's just a guess but worth a look,..unless you can simply call and ask the original owner.

First,..for a fast answer,..take out your expander ball and replace it with one of smaller size (maybe you still have the undersized one which came with the die set?) This makes it so the neck is not expanded at all when bringing the case out of the die,..and will yield all the sizing without the expansion. If that works,..then you know you need to change expanders or leave it off all together. But,..you must put an undersized ball back on the decapping rod in order to hold the decapping pin in place.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote