Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Swift A-Frame or Nosler AccuBond
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I will be hunting deer in a week in Northern Minnesota. Most shots fall under 100 yards. For my 280 Ackley, I have 2 loads worked up with 62.5 grains of H4831SC. Velocity is just north of 3000 fps. Bullets are both 140 grains and accuracy for each is excellent. So, which bullet would you choose and why.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your shots will be pretty much broadside either bullet will work. If I thought I might have to make a rear raking shot I would use the A Frame. How far apart do the different loads shoot at 100 yards?

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have used the Swift A-Frames for 13 years now, and have taken game from hyrax to Cape buffalo with them. They have NEVER failed me; the NorthForks have an equally enviable reputation.

Deer aren't that big, and they aren't that 'tough'. Pick whichever shoots best and don't worry about terminal performance.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I would stay w/ the Swift. You have the possibility of a high vel. impact & the Swift will get there from any angle. Ishoot the 160gr NAB in my .280 & have tested it but not taken game. It's also a good choice.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Prewar70, Why do you need such heavily constructed bullet for deer? I know, cuz you can. But really, why not try a 139SST or Interbond if you need a "Bonded" bullet, just loaded some 165IBs for a co-worker for his 06, he reported very good accuracy at 200yds, and a big hole on the other side of his fence post. No doubt the 2 you mentioned are fine bullets, but why waste your money on an easy to kill deer, these bullets are best on Elk and such, no, I haven't shot any Elk yet, but, deer don't deserve or need such a bullet as an A-Frame or Accubond, if you must spend more than 30 cents per bullet, I'd go with an Interbond. I know what everyones saying, "it's his money, let him spend it the way he wants to" Just my .02, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
The 160 gr. Accubonds shoot very well in my 280 Ackley as well. Nearly 3000 fps too.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
The 2 bullets group very close to one another, maybe a .25" difference. I know deer aren't very big, but my only thought was that I might get the Nosler to open up faster and make a bigger hole, especially if I went through the ribs on a lung shot. My concern for the Swift, is that it might not open enough if it doesn't hit muscle or bone, but I was hoping the velocity might mitigate that.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Jay,

I get great accuracy out of the 2 bullets I mentioned and in my opinion, these bullets are cheap insurance. The Interbond is basically the Hornady version of the Nosler Accubond. $19 for a box of 50 Accubonds (cheap) and $45 for 50 Swifts. The Swifts are expensive but again, I would gladly spend it for reliable performance at any range. "Deserve" isn't a great choice of words in your post either. Before I started paying attention to bullet construction for deer hunting, I had Sierras, Nosler BT, and Hornady's explode on deer when the ranges were shorter than expected. When you think about all the money we spend in hunting gear, bullets are the least of my worries. And I know your point isn't really the cost, but more of why use a Swift when a SST will do the job. It's an odds game, why not spend a few extra bucks and put the odds a little more in your favor, especially when there is no cost in accuracy. [/quote

Point taken, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's amazingly close to the performance I have gotten from my .280 in wetpack; 160grNAB @ 2800fps. The recovered bullets avg. 108gr, impact vel. app. 2700fps!

You're right Prewar, the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt & any big game animal I hunt "deserves" my best effort.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I get great accuracy out of the 2 bullets I mentioned and in my opinion, these bullets are cheap insurance. The Interbond is basically the Hornady version of the Nosler Accubond. $19 for a box of 50 Accubonds (cheap) and $45 for 50 Swifts. The Swifts are expensive but again, I would gladly spend it for reliable performance at any range. "Deserve" isn't a great choice of words in your post either. Before I started paying attention to bullet construction for deer hunting, I had Sierras, Nosler BT, and Hornady's explode on deer when the ranges were shorter than expected. When you think about all the money we spend in hunting gear, bullets are the least of my worries. And I know your point isn't really the cost, but more of why use a Swift when a SST will do the job. It's an odds game, why not spend a few extra bucks and put the odds a little more in your favor, especially when there is no cost in accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I chose to use the 160 grain Accubonds out of my .280 when hunting red stag in argentina this past march. I took two stags, one at 300 yards, and the other at about 100. Only travelling around 2700 fps, but both were one shot kills with the bullet recovered just under the hide of the opposite shoulder (both went through the near shoulder). Mushroom was great, retained weight was 103 and 101 grains respectively. My 2 cents, save a little money and use the Accubonds over the Swift. I'm planning myself on using the 140 grainers for deer as well this year.

(but of course I'm one of those people who has always used ballistic tips in the past and have always had excellent terminal performance, so take it for what it's worth!)

Jon

Posts: 165 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 12 March 2004Reply With Quote