New
Find
Notify
Tools

alternative for 7 1/2 rem primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've found some load information using Rem 7 1/2 BR primers. My supplier is out of them. What can I use in its place? I'm new to reloading so please go easy.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester small rifle primers. But DO NOT try to use the rem 6 1/2!!!!! I destroyed the bolt face of my AR, by having the 6 1/2 primer rupturing against the face of the bolt. Nice littler flame cuts before I noticed the primers were rupturing,(ya know sometimes you sit down to run a few 30 rounders through the rifle, before picking up the emptys)? The rem 6.5 is made for .22 hornet and it's cousins, low pressure small rifle rounds. Also CCI small rifle, or any other primer companies small rifle primers.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
The Rem 7 1/2 is a magumn small rifle although it sometimes has the BR added. I`d go with the CCI 450 if you`re loading ball powder as it is a "magnumn" class small rifle primer but, any small rifle primer will work. Remember to rework your load when cahnging components.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, I found some 7 1/2's at a gun show today.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve. Great resource for me to keep.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington primers seem to be in short supply every year at about this time. A couple years ago I couldn't find them anywhere in the northeast. You can help a bit by purchasing them by the thousand. You won't run out as often. I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been hearing that Remington is now making their primers in Mexico. Can anyone shed any light on this? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerGood idea about buying in the thousand. Bought them that way for a while. Rifle primers are classed A,b,and c. Federal 210, Remington 9 1/2 are class A and produce around 6% less pressure than Class B such as CCI-200. Class C such as CCI-250, Federal 215 produces around 6% more pressure than class b. Matching these to the right powder really helps. Example the CCI-200 is great with IMR 4320 ect.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote