New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to reloading for this cartridge. Suggestions on components and loads. I think I will start off with H414 and Reloader 15 with the 286 partitions or 270 speer. Should I use Magnum primers or stick with Winchester Standard Rifle Primers? Also who makes a trimmer for this? I have always used the Lee Lock Stud and Cutter. Which brass do you recommend. Anything else I should know before starting. I bought a set of RCBS dies for it. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Esox,

I've loaded the 9.3x62 for years and found it to be about as straight forward as it gets - no magic involved.

Here in Europe many use VVN-140 but it appears that for Stateside RL-15 is pretty much the "magic ticket".

I also use the Lee Case Gauge Cutters & Studs and I know Lee makes them for 9.3x62 because they're on the market here; so if you can't locate one locally just give Lee a call.

I had to sand down the stud on mine a tad as it came from Lee; apparently my expander ball from RCBS was a tad undersized but that makes for a good bullet pull.

Lee also make a Lee Factory Crimp Die for this cartridge which depending on your desires may also be a good investment; I use it on bullets w/or w/o a cannelure, works great.

As for cases, Norma, Blaser, RWS, Geco, Sellier & Belloit and Prvi Partisan are the most common here right now I'm working with 2 batches of RWS & Norma. Although considered a discount ammo here the Privi cases I've seen are perfectly servicable.

I've never bothered with Magnum primers for this cartridge - W-W Standard Large Rifle (WLR'S) are what I've using at the moment.

My favorite bullet for this cartidge has always been the 250 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and you may; with some luck, trip over a box or two, it's been replaced by the 250 gr. Accubond and it also works well for me.

Other good bullets are the PMP (Pretoria Metal Pressing, South African) 286 gr. RN's, Hornady Semi-Spitzers, Woodlieghs, Noslers, Speer and Norma's offerings. Actually, there aren't any BAD 9.3 bullets on the market that I've found and even the supposedly mundane Speers work just fine. There's plenty of others but these are the one's I've the most experience with and they perform as advertised.

I've seen some pretty high velocity claims with RL-15 but quite frankly this cartridge does it's best work as claimed, right @ 2300 fps will afford superb accuracy and sterling terminal performance. If the additional speed Floats Your Boat, go for it.

I've the 9.3x62 to South Africa on several occaisions and it will thump stuff stuff big & small. For Drive Hunting & night-time Stand Hunting it is my cartridge of choice here in The Fatherland when Wild Boar and Red Deer are on the Menu.

Have fun loading for your 9.3x62 and be sure to let us know how your results are coming along.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ingvar J. Kristjansson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Esox,

As for cases, Norma, Blaser, RWS, Geco, Sellier & Bellot and Prvi Partisan are the most common here right now I'm working with 2 batches of RWS & Norma. Although considered a discount ammo here the Privi cases I've seen are perfectly servicable.

Lapua also makes 9.3x62 cases....expensive but very very good cases.

Posts: 510 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
I started working up my reloads with the Prvi 285 SP - An inexpensive bullet. Found IMR-4320 to be a good powder. Then just made the switch to a 286 NPT - It didn't even required a recipe change! Am getting right at 2,400 fps muzzle velocity from a 24" barrel.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . Lee also make a Lee Factory Crimp Die for this cartridge which depending on your desires may also be a good investment; I use it on bullets w/or w/o a cannelure, works great. . .

I couldn't find any LFCD for the 9,3x62 and it is not listed on Leeprecision site, so if you also cannot find any, not a lost cause, just send Lee a dummy cartridge and they will make one for you.

I'm currently loading Lapua Brass with Varget pushing 250gr Accubonds and accuracy/results so far is great! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for the lee die, look under custom dies. sometimes they have one allready made up. I just got mine last week.

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR powder works wonders in the 9.3x62. It has the burning rate of RL-15 but better density so you don't have to compress charges to get max velocities.

If you are happy with 2300 fps, then many powders will work, including RL-15, Varget, AA2520, H4895 and H414.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dom:
quote:
. . . Lee also make a Lee Factory Crimp Die for this cartridge which depending on your desires may also be a good investment; I use it on bullets w/or w/o a cannelure, works great. . .

I couldn't find any LFCD for the 9,3x62 and it is not listed on Leeprecision site, so if you also cannot find any, not a lost cause, just send Lee a dummy cartridge and they will make one for you.

I'm currently loading Lapua Brass with Varget pushing 250gr Accubonds and accuracy/results so far is great! Waidmannsheil, Dom.

Midway lists the FCD, but it's backorderable, they also have the trim length gage in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...p-die-93x62mm-mauser

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...older-93x62mm-mauser

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the great information. I will post back with what I come up with. I again appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you use the search function in this forum and look a bit selectively you will find many good threads on this great cartridge.

I have a good bit of info on this round - old articles, bullet tests and load info. PM me with your email and I'll send you the info.

Lapua brass is as good as Norma. Lapua Mega bullets are also good. The best powder I found for the 286 gr bullet is Varget - 59 gr gives 2420 fps in my 100 year old Simson Mauser 98 with clover leaf groups.

What rifle do you have? Good luck.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay this is what I have come up with thus far.

Brass will be Prv Partizan, Winchester Large Rifle Primers, Big Game, and a 286 grain bullet to start with, not sure yet which? If no luck then I will try the Varget next. I have RCBS dies and will full length size the first time and then Neck Size only after.

The rifle is a CZ 550 American. I was interested in the 550 FS but it had a shorter barrel and I wanted some added velocity for the cartridge. Can't wait to shoot it.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Mine is shooting Grafs brass, 62.5 to 64 grains of Ramshot Big Game and any 270 - 286 grain bullet I run through it. The PRVI bullets shoot great in mine very accurate.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Snell,

I'm planning on buying brass from Graf and Sons which I believe may be produced by Prv Partizan. I plan on using Winchester Large Rifle Primers, Big Game or Varget Powder and still deciding on a bullet most likely a 286 grain Nosler Partition.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Esox, you will see from the test reports that the Privi bullets are good enough to use on Buffalo! they are dirt cheap if bought in bulk and would be ideal for practive loads.

good luck - I am looking forward to reports.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote