Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing Brass/Necking up or down
 Login/Join

posted
I have a .260 and want better brass than remington. It has been suggested to buy Lapua .308 and resized to .260. What is the process for this? Is it a difficult and time consuming process? I heard that it may be easier to buy .243 and neck up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Posts: 18 | Location: LA | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Just run it into your 260 die. The only concern you will have is the bit of neck thickness you'll have compressing the neck down, but that's a relatively easy check. Just measure the expanded neck of a case fired in that chamber. Write that down. After you size the new 308 case down, seat a bullet and measure the neck. If the difference between that neck and the fired neck is at least .002", just go on,load and shoot. It's likely it will be OK. If it's not, then you might have to turn the necks down a bit to give you that clearance but that's not likely.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Davit_M
posted Hide Post
As long as you lube the inside of the neck well and use a tapered expander, I would think that necking up from .243 to .260 would be easier and less troublesome than necking down from .308 caliber. You also wouldn't have to worry about excessive neck thickness.

Dave

Posts: 146 | Location: Montana - Big Sky Country | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its been my experience that when necking up the necks became thinner leading to split necks after a couple of firings. I think your brass would last longer if you necked down and, if necessary, turned the case necks.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either of these moves(up or down)by this amount will likely crack after a couple of firings if you don't anneal after forming. Once you anneal, neck life will be normal.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Here is what I told someone about 7-08 brass.You my have to trim a little off but I do not think so.I use Lapua brass for my 308 Winchester and I use it for my 358 Winchester.It is some of best braas made and I would go with the 243 brass it is easier to neck you and with the 243 brass being 2.450 and the 7-08 being 2.350 you should not have to trim it down after sizing up it should be just about 2.350 and you will not have to turn the neck they will be the same. I use 308 Winchester Lapua brass being 2.015 to make 358 Winchester brass and the 358 ends up just a little short when I'm done 2.005