Find
Notify
Tools

450 ackley
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted
hello everyone! i'm new to accurate reloading, and to reloading itself. my friend scott and i are planning an african safari (to leave in a couple of years). anyway he was wondering if in a 450 ackley, there were any sources other than a square on brass,( in case there's another shutdown), and if he could achieve 2300-2400 fps, 5900-6000 lbs/ft by using a 500 gr bullet while keeping pressures within safe levels. he is going to be using a winchester model 70 safari express, and probably a krieger barrel as his rifle. if anyone has any info or insight, please let us know. thanks. i appreciate it.

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello, several of us have 450 Ackleys. Mine is a Sako TRG-S
I am using 416 Remington and 375 Winchester brass that I fire form. I have worked extensively on loads for the 500 grain X bullet and since it is so long I have only achieved around 2200 fps. Last week I chronographed some loads with the 450 grain X and a load with R15 was 2495. I believe I am going to use it.

Mike

Posts: 1859 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Okay,
here goes
1: keep your current headstamped brass for africa.
2: quality cartridge will make extras for you
3: LOTT cases will be fine
4: hornady oe bell "magnum basic 3" " will work perfectly

welcome to the forums
jeffe

Posts: 38567 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Jeffe said, my 450's on an Enfield (I like it so much I'm building another, I have a few other ideas I want to try). - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote