Notify
Tools

338 Lapua Dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted
Hi
Just bought a Sako TRGS 338 Lapua. I sitting down to order Dies does anyone have sugestions.
Should I neck size or full length size. What about a crimp.
Also I plan to shoot Barnes TSX 180gr or 210gr or 225gr
ThanksDr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Bonanza/Forster FL micrometer match dies. Awesome! I got them from John at Gunstop Shooting Supply http://www.gunstop.com/.
I don't know if Lee makes factory crimp dies for that round. If not your best bet will be to seat and crimp in separate steps. You can buy a non micrometer seater and use it just for the crimp step.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My RCBS dies seem to work just fine. The Micrometer seaters are nice though. I've never crimped a round of 338 Lapua. The 250 Scenars available from Sinclair have shot superbly for me............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too use RCBS dies. Neck size is only necessary for at least 3 firings. 2-3 thousandths neck tension,NO crimp,COL 3.650 or too fit your magazine. With the bullets you mentioned the overall length will be shorter.I only have longrange target experience with the cartridge and do not hunt.Although the downrange energy numbers are incredible.Stick with LAPUA brass-far superior to Norma and only FL size when absolutely necessary.

Posts: 5 | Location: Northern NewJersey | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote