New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCI 250 mag primers not igniting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is the problem I ran acroos today, I have 2 times fierd brass that was going on 3rd firing today, they were PFL resized.
This brass fired some loads that had pressure signs, Ex:extracter marks and slightly sticky bolt once in a while. I did back down from those loads some.
So here is what happened today I loaded some of my favourite loads and tried them with the cci 250 mag primers instead of the fed 215 primers. I did back down first and worked my way up, Now withe the origianal primer fed 215 mag they would always fire, with the cci I had 20 out of 45 rnds not go off, now I am wondering what could it be? Did I trash my brass by shooting hot loads, but my primer pockets are still pretty tight.
My action is a Stiller Predator, my caliber is 7mm Dakota, and my brass is Norma.

1) Is my brass the problem? Primer pockets are still pretty tight.
2)Are the cci 250 mag primers different in size, height, width, to make my firing pin not strike them hard enough?
3)How deep should primers be seated? I always seat primers with my rcbs hand primer and after the first squeeze I rotate the brass and squeeze again, never had a problem doing it that way before.
4)Can ther be something wrong with my firirg pin?
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had similar problems after I used a primer pocket uniformer. Even some of the 215 primers wouldn't fire, but none of the CCI primers would. The problem was with my new rifle. The firing pin was too short. Took it to my gunsmith and he said it was not within specs. He fixed it. Works fine now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The primer should be seated all the way to the bottom! How far below the face of the case is immaterial. How did the firing pin strike look? Sounds like you were getting a light pin strike. Or you were not seating your primers to the bottom and the firing pin energy was being spent pushing the primer on into the pocket.
Over zealous use of a primer pocket uniformer can cause more problems than they help by deepening the pocket to where the pin can't get a good strike on the primer.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Federals usually seat a little more firmly than the CCIs. My guess is that your firing pin strike/protrusion is inadequate (and/or your headspace is excessive), causing a light firing pin strike. The difference in the primers is one of sensitivity or seating resistance. Both are likely well within spec, it just happens that the circumstances cause the Feds to go off when the CCIs don't.

The other possiblity is that you have a bad batch of CCIs, but this is not very likely (I haven't run across a bad batch of primers in 45 years of reloading.)

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger 6mm that would only fire off the Fed 215 match primers.

Using any other (in this case winchester primers) and it would only touch off half of the rounds.

Replaced the firing spring pin and that fixed it.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you have a rifle that only fires one brand of primer, you have a firing pin issue, not a primer issue. Best have a smith correct it before it cost you a trophy or a match by not firing the selected primer.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Federal cups are softer than CCI. Sounds like light strikes to me. Either stick with Fed primers or replace the spring. Spring replacement is probably the best option IMO.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update, i could'nt resist I took a hammer to the primers that did not go off and guess what, they went bang! I geuss its a firing pin issue and not the primers.
Elmer

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmerdeer:
Update, i could'nt resist I took a hammer to the primers that did not go off and guess what, they went bang! I geuss its a firing pin issue and not the primers.
Elmer
How's the old eye doin? Was digging that primer anvil out of your iris as painful as they say it is? Big Grin

Posts: 13248 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
Wow, i suppose a hammer is one way to do it, do we have another Homebrewer? homer

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote