New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Without starting a big argument I was wondering about opinions on the merits or downside to these premium bullets in a 9.3x62 for use on African Plains Game.

Both bullets shoot well in my rifle and I have access to both for the hunt. My largest animal will be
Eland.

Thanks!

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

9.3x62 is a cartridge IMO that really doesn't require the use of "premium" bullets to obtain it's full potential (opinions vary); I've spent a number of Safaris in RSA using their homegrown, vanilla-flavored Cup 'n Core PMP 286 gr. Round Nose and everything we shot tipped over just fine with appropriate shot placement.

But, for solid preparation and ensured results with this cartidge I'd prefer the Nosler Parttion over the monometal Barnes due to the size (length) of the Barne's projectiles that may/could encroach on powder density.

Good Luck with your choice.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with that cartridge, but I've shot a bunch of plains game, including two Eland, with my .338 Win Mag using 225 Gr. Nosler Partitions and have had nothing but great performance. On the Eland I found the bullets just under the skin on the opposite side on broadside shots.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Haught:
Without starting a big argument I was wondering about opinions on the merits or downside to these premium bullets in a 9.3x62 for use on African Plains Game.

Both bullets shoot well in my rifle and I have access to both for the hunt. My largest animal will be
Eland.

Thanks!

If they both shot equally well, my choice would be the TSX.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 9.3x62 and 286 Nosler Partitions in ‘09 for a RSA plains game hunt. A Husqvarna with a FN action, Ball C2 powder.

They worked very well, the only animal I shot twice was a Blue Wildebeest and that shot was because I could. I had a good hit and he was just standing there watching the herd run away so I hit him again. Recovered just one bullet, on a zebra, shot in right butt cheek and bullet broke the second rib and was under the skin. About 4 feet of penetration. Yea I know, BAD shot placement.

The reason I used the Noslers over the Barnes was availability at the time. I now have some 9.3 TSXs loaded for a CZ 550 but have not hunted with them.

In other cartridges the TSX have worked well for me and those I have hunted with. They do not shoot to the same point as the Partitions in the Husky.

I would say use the bullets that group the best, both will work very well.

On a side note, the old man who was the manager of the lodge we stayed asked me what gun I was using (damn Americans). I told him “A Mauser in 9.3”, he smiled and said, “That is what I carry”. I had an instant friend.

Mark

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I would always prefer a copper bullet over anything with lead in it.

Number 1 choice is any bullet made of copper with a hollow point.

Like the Barnes X, Northfork and our own Walterhogs.

Number 2 would be bullets with a solid shank.

Like the Trophy Bonded Bear Claws.

Number 3 would be bullets with a partition with lead in it like the Nosler Partition.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are hunting in an area where lead is prohibited, there is no point in using a less dense bullet material like brass or copper.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I guess we probably shot several hundred African game animals, from duikers, zebra, elephants and lions, leopards and hippos.

None with a bullet with lead in it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68692 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob,

In my 9.3, my favorites are in order as far as accuracy is concerned:
1) North Fork @ 250gr.
2) Barnes TSX @ 250gr
3) Nosler BT @ 250gr
4) Nosler Part @ 286gr

It just happens that that is also my list for favorite to use. Good bullets all, that's just my list.

Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
The Partition has been around since 1948. The TSX about 10 years. The fact that the TSX has become so popular in 1/6 the time says something, especially since hunters tend to use what has worked in the past and not experiment unless they have a problem.
No flies on the Partition, none on the TSX either. You won't go wrong with either one.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard choice anywhere ya hunt. I just luv the partitions & TTSXs; my two favorites for all my guns. I like how I always find the partitions against the hide on back side on moose; never penetrates & exits animal. I like how the TTSXs shoot in all my ARs and how they seem to accomplish their goal when they hit; some like the GMXs don't for me.

Between the wifey, kids, nephews, and me; we've taken over 30 moose, never ever had one walk on off, taken between 100-150 caribou, and a bunch of bear over the years; all with N.Ps & TTSXs or TSXs.

My reloading bench bullet shelf is blk & gold, blue, and red & yellow; and they are worth every penny I paid for them.

Shooters Pro Shop is the best deal I've found.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote