New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 gr Partition w/cannelure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone experimented with the partitions with & without the cannelure? I just got some 180's with a cannelure & was wondering how much different if any they will shoot than the ones without. If anyone has any experience with them I'd like to hear it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you obtained the PARS w/ the cannelure. The only ones I've seen w/ the dimpled cann were in factory loaded ammo. All the ones I've loaded---22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 30, 33 do not have the dimpled cann. Some of the larger PARS have a ring where a cann would be--but it's not dimpled. Do you have pulled PARS?

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ignore the channelure.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
They may be NOS. Up until about 25 or 30 years ago all NPs wore a turned cannelure on the outside right where the sold brass partition is on the inside. It was to relieve pressure.

At the same time the cannelure was eliminated, the bullets jackets took on a more copper-ish colour, so I suspect the new jackets are somewhat softer and thinner, and that the cannelure was no longer necessary. But, as I just said, that is a GUESS.

I have loaded both for many, many, years and had no problems using the same loads with each. Not mild loads either, I use 83.0 grains H-4831 with 180 gr. NPs in my .300 Weatherby, for instance. CAUTION: Do not use this load in your .300 without a very careful workup. It is 3.0 grains over listed max in some books.

Lot's of older shooters (including an awful lot of my friends) are being called home by the Red Gods these days, so I'm seeing quite a few of these NOS Partition bullets in estate sales.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought them from a member off of another forum. They are Nosler seconds & are still in the sealed plastic bags that they came in from Nosler. I went through some of my other Partitions & found that all of my .277 130 gr seconds that I ordered directly from Nosler about 3 years ago have the cannelure also. I wasn't sure if I should open them up & try them or just get rid of them & buy some without the cannelure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Brokenspoke, What is it about the cannelure that concerns you?

I'll guess your Partitions are current production "Over-Runs" that were made for one of the Ammunition Factories(Fed, Rem, Win, etc), which will always have a cannelure.

Anyone claming they can detect any difference on-game or in Trajectory, is full-of-Beans.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills with those excellent Bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
brokenspoke ----- Liston to Hot Core, he hit the nail on the head. I have shot Nosler Partitions for many years, with and without the cannulure including hundreds of Cosmetic Blems. The original Partition looked like they were turned in a lathe. They all perform well when they get to the game. Whether they are accurate in you rifle is the question only you can answer. Shoot them and if they are accurate, you have no worries after they reach the game animal. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not against using them at all. I was just feeling out whether or not there would be much difference in the way they shoot. It sure sounds like I'll be shooting some in the next 3 or 4 days & I'll go from there. I'm going on a moose & black bear hunt in British Columbia the first week of October. The 180 gr Partition is shooting so good out of my 30-06. I'm loading them on top of 57 gr of H4350 over a CCI 200 primer. It's shooting right at 2750 fps & grouping right at 2 inches at 300 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, I don't care for a cannelure on bullets. However, I have used the cannelured Partitions (sold as "seconds", they are actually production overruns of bullets made for ammunition manufacturers) interchangably with retail boxed Nosler Partitions and experienced no difference in loading or performance. The same is true of cannelured and "regular" Accubonds and Ballistic Tips. As others have indicated, simply ignore the cannelure.

BTW, the orange tips on the .30 cal Accubond seconds I'm using in my .300 H&H have hurt their performance no more than the cannelure Smiler

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote