Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I had some free time to myself tonight so I decided to load up some 30-06 cases for my brother's upcoming bear hunt. I had a can of Accurate 4064 that I had bought a few years back and decided to use that, dumped it in the powder measure and away I went. It metered perfectly fine and I had 50 rounds in no time flat. It was only when dumped the unused powder back in the can that I noticed that there was quite a bit of powder stuck to the funnel tube and looked greasy, almost like someone had sprayed one shot down it. I had a hunch that somthing might be up with the powder so I had my wife smell it (I am super congested right now and cant smell a thing). Sure enough, she thought it smelled foul, almost vinegar like. After checking western powders website it appears there was a recall on 4064 so now I get to pull all 50 rounds dancing

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be glad you caught it when you did.

Posts: 798 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! when Obama got in + there was a primer shortage (sound familiar) + Federal outsourced to China (who has no quality control) I had loaded up over 600 rounds on my 650 press when I found that about a third were defective.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Indeed! when Obama got in + there was a primer shortage (sound familiar) + Federal outsourced to China (who has no quality control) I had loaded up over 600 rounds on my 650 press when I found that about a third were defective.

I bet your heart sank low when you realised, how did you get out of that mess?

Posts: 3914 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bet your heart sank low when you realised, how did you get out of that mess?

You sit down with a bullet puller and go to work.

Or you use them for practice and pull the ones that don't work.

Been there done that.

600 isn't large amount.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
If you want I'll step outside and swear a blue streak for you.
There's always an up side to every averted disaster, aside from averting the disaster, after fifty rounds loaded, you will gain muscle memory while breaking down those fifty pounds.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
What is the lot number?

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
First clue is the lack of a nice clean ether smell on IMR extruded powders. Acrid, acid smell, yes like strong vinegar. And sometimes a rusty powder in with the granules.
Probably shouldn't reload with no smeller.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Powder normally has a redish hue at that point.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Federal outsourced to China

Really? Do you have a dependable source of this information, or did you simply outsource to Facebook?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't do Facebook. This was told to me by the rep. that I have bought components from in Houston for many years. That is ALL they do, is sell reloading components. Along with making sense I think he might just know what he's talking about.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote