THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What's the best progressive reloader for the $$$?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best progressive reloader for the $$$?
 Login/Join

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie:
PC,

Calibers listed for the 1050 include .30'06 and .45/70. Although it isn't listed, the 650 will accommodate the .30'06. Distance between top of the shellplate and bottom of the size die is approximately 4.25 inches. You may want to check with Dillon on the availability of shellplates and other necessary parts. http://dillonprecision.com/ The 1050 comes with the auto casefeed. It is optional on the 650. The 550 doesn't have auto casefeed capability. I'm not sure what the maximum case length is on the 550. It's generally considered a "handgun press," but many do load small rifle cartridges on them. Personally, I'm not a 550 fan because you have to use right hand to insert a case and the left for the bullet. That's a personal quirk since so many others don't have a problem with it. IMO that's one advantage the Hornady has over the 550; both bullet and case are inserted on the left side. With a little practice you can pick up a bullet and case each time. Hornady has said they will introduce an auto casefeed for the LNL this fall. I'm hoping it will work with my Projector.

Hope this helps. I'm off to fire up the 650.

Eddie

The 550 will load .460 Wby, the 650 will handle up to a .375H&H.

I have a 650. Wish I had another!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eddie.

Goneballistic, so the 550b will actually accomadate larger cases (can it really load .460 weatherby's) than the XL650 [Confused] yet you prefer the 650 ??.

Will the 1050 accomadate as many calibres as the 550B or XL 650. Will the s1050 be a more versatile press in the long run ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a case length of 2.9" I think the 650 will also accommadate the .460. Might be a tight fit depending on the projectile.

Eddie

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Thanks Eddie.

Goneballistic, so the 550b will actually accomadate larger cases (can it really load .460 weatherby's) than the XL650 [Confused] yet you prefer the 650 ??.

Will the 1050 accomadate as many calibres as the 550B or XL 650. Will the s1050 be a more versatile press in the long run ??

I've never had the urge to tool up and load the .460 class of cartridge progressively. It's mostly a matter of practicality and volume. I have a .378 Wby. I have about a 140 rounds of brass. Very expensive brass. Neither caliber is for just a day of plinking. 40 rounds at a shoot is about my limit, but I usually keep it to 30. There simply is no need (for me) to load such a round in volume.
As of now, the 650 is set up for .45 Auto. I'm looking to tool up for 9mm, .40S&W, .223, and .308, if I ever get an M1A.

[ 09-02-2002, 16:54: Message edited by: goneballistic ]

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie:
With a case length of 2.9" I think the 650 will also accommadate the .460. Might be a tight fit depending on the projectile.

Eddie

You also have auto case feed on a 650. There is no conversion in .460 for the 650, probably because the case feed and the electric case feeder will not handle it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Din't think of that, GB. If you were so inclined I guess you could hand feed them. Sort of defeats the purpose of a 650, eh?

I agree, loading most rifle calibers on a progressive is, IMO counterproductive. I do load 5.56 on my Projector, but I'm loading for volume not benchrest accuracy. Also, I never change the setup.

Eddie

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My volume shooting relates mainly to the 45/70, .44 rem mag & .22 Hornet. I am defintely not requiring bench accuracy from the .44 or 45/70.

I heard that the setup time is a fair bit longer with the 650 over the 550. May be in the first instance I would be best served by the 550B.

I also agree that I will not be loading rounds such as my .416 Rigby progressivily, so that is not really an issue. Just as long as it will do up to 30/06 & 6.5x55

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh,

one more question, I rand a dillon dealer in Australia yesterday and he was steering me towards the 550B, for a couple of reasons. Firstly he said setup time between different calibres is much quicker and secondly he said if your doing rifle rounds the 550B is actually a more rugged structually stronger machine than the XL650. He really emphasised the set up time difference between these two models. He said it was about 10 minutes to set up a calibre change for the 550 B Versus 30 minute for the XL650.

Anyone with either or both models care to comment on these statements ???

I am prepared to pay the preimum for the XL650 if needed. Also with the XL 650 if you want an electric case feed do you need to buy a different case feeder for each calibre ??

<goneballistic>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by PC:

Also with the XL 650 if you want an electric case feed do you need to buy a different case feeder for each calibre ??

You buy a casefeeder plate for each type of cartridge loaded, i.e. small pistol, large pistol, small rifle, large rifle. Also, caliber conversions for the 550 are less expensive than those for the 650.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said it was about 10 minutes to set up a calibre change for the 550 B Versus 30 minute for the XL650.
Sounds as if he needs to unload a 550 real bad. In thirty minutes I could remove the dies from the toolhead, install and adjust another set, install and adjust another powder measure, swap primer mechanisms and all the casefeed parts including the plate. I'm certain the 550 swap is quicker than a 650, but the time is recouped during loading.

AFA structural strength, I'm no engineer, but both presses share a similar profile and both are constructed from the same aluminum stock.

As GB mentioned, 550 caliber conversions are cheaper (~$13), however, keep in mind you're paying for a five position shellplate vs. four and the casefeed parts.

Ask you're self these questions:

1) How much is an auto casefeed worth to me?

2) Do I need a five station press?

3) How important is price (initial and future caliber additions)?

Either press will performed as advertised. You just have to decide if the 550 will meet your needs.

Eddie

<Eric>
posted
i bought a Lee "LoadMaster" and have been very happy with it. I did have a few teething problems, but most were operator head space. I also had a Dillon "Square Deal," I gave that to my brother.

Different strokes for different folks. Either ya like it or ya don't. I'm happy with what I got. It works for me.

Regards,

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about other progressive reloaders, but the dillon is a great machine for sizing and trimming brass. But as far as dropping powder in small case necks such as 243 and 223 they don't really work that well. (Both ball and stick powder) I have loaded ruffly 100,000 rounds using both the Dillon 1050 and 650. The 1050 was used for pistol cases and the 650 for rifle cases. Both worked great especially the 1050 for pistol cases. I was not real impressed with the 650 for priming cases. Obviously it sure beats seating primer by hand like I use too before buying the progressive press. Most of the trouble has been with the anvil sticking up too high and binding the primer turrat. I am a huge varmint hunter and load a lot of small cases. Just havent had any luck dropping powder charges through the small necks. I am sure the others would have the same problem.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen,

now I just have to decide wether auto case feed is something I will want to add later.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
Another vote for the Dillon 550. I bought mine way back when as a 450 and have upgraded it to 550b status. Untold thousands of rounds . I also have a Old Lyman All-American turrett from the early sixties that I use frequently,but when I need a bucket of ammo for one of my 45's fast the Dillon gets the job done. And you can adapt the RCBS powder measure now if you prefer. So that old IMR stick powder bugaboo is gone. I have a lot of extra toolheads and caliber conversions handy and as mentioned before they will interchange readily...IE 45acp shellholder does the -06 and the 30-30 will hold my 375 Win brass.ect ect.
I had a rcbs piggyback mounted on my rcbs sp 5 press and was always cussing it for dumping powder,the primer arm was always jumping out from its mount,problems were always within 50 rounds or so. I doubt I ever got a trouble free session from it. I know I got rid of it for more than one reason.
I would also recommend a video from Dillon, Machine Gun Magic. Awesome. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote