New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for .45 Colt Plinking loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are your recommendations on powders appropriate for light target/plinking loads in the .45 Colt? I use W296 for my heavy hunting loads but am looking for some light daily practice loads. I was thinking 231 or Uinque might be good, but keep hearing Unique is dirtier than some other powders offering equivalent accuracy. Thanks!

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
What bullet?

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unique is bulkie and that helps. Ball powders are not as bulkie, that is not so good. Squib loads can stick the bullet in the barrel, low loading density can contribute to that. Use a bulkie flake powder, unique, red dot, 800X and others will work well. Dirty??? your point???? So run a patch doewn the bore if it bothers you. It is not like we are talking black powder dirty here.

quote:
Originally posted by Shark Bait:
What are your recommendations on powders appropriate for light target/plinking loads in the .45 Colt? I use W296 for my heavy hunting loads but am looking for some light daily practice loads. I was thinking 231 or Uinque might be good, but keep hearing Unique is dirtier than some other powders offering equivalent accuracy. Thanks!

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
I have had good results with both Unique and Hodgdon Universal Clays. Unique does not burn as clean but shoots fine. Universal Clays shoots well and burns much more cleanly.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Don't have a .45 LC but from my point of view they are all dirty. With cast bullets even worse (my favorites). Have shot all of the fast pistol powders, low preasure rounds are just dirty in the .44 mag., 38 etc.,but you get lots of bangs for the buck.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I also like Unique but have used Red Dot as well for light loads & Cowboy action w/ 200-250gr bullets. The case is big, so I opt for flake powders that are bulkier.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
This time of the year is when I cast up and reload a couple thousand rounds of 45 Colt, for the early spring shooting fests.

I use 8.5 to 9.5 grains of Unique behind a 255 grain Saeco bullet, sized .454. Been using this load for a lot of years, works great, cheap to shoot, easy on me and the guns. I use this load for four of my 45 Colts and a couple of my buddies Colts.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Odessa>
posted
Among CAS shooters the 250 grain LRNFP bullet using Hogdgon's TiteGroup or HP38 (or Olin/Winchesters 231) with a standard large pistol primer and any brand of brass are popular loads. Any would be suitable for plinkers. I use the above combo of components with either 6.4 grains of HP38 or 6.0 grains of TiteGroup. Odessa

<OTTO>
posted
I like 7.5 grains of unique corked with a 255 gr lead bullet. If you think unique is dirty, try loading some with FFF black powder. Very impressive smoke too.

------------------
From my cold, dead hands!
Thanks Chuck!

<JCCD>
posted
8 grains of 231 gives me 850 fps from a 4 5/8 ruger blakhawk with 255 gr cast bullets.

<eldeguello>
posted
HS6 has worked well for me. Unique is also good in the performance department, but does not meter consistently in my Redding powder measure. The big flakes stick together, making it necessary for me to weigh the charges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7 gr 700X with a 250 gr bullet give @700 fps and is very accurate. A Mike Venturino load.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
My favorite load from 1969 is 9.5 gr of Unique with the Saeco 250 gr plain base bullet. This is a fun, accurate load. It's just right.

<Salt>
posted
I recommend a 250gr cast bullet over 35gr(volume)Goex FFG blackpower. Use use only blackpowder lubricants like Borebutter(TM) and avoid petroleum based lubrication.

Ballistol is good for cleaning and as a gun oil too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanted to thank you all for the replies. You have provided plenty of data to work with. Good Shooting!

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Hey Arkypete

Was that you I head clanging the targets at Black Creek this past weekend? I was trying to shoot groups with the 375, but had to keep an eye out for Butch and Sundance!!!

The Cowboy shooters are sure a serious bunch. Heard a lot of hitting going on, too.

Tim

Posts: 1535 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote