Find
Notify
Tools

Smart Reloader brand presses??????????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Does anyone here have any experience with the Smart Reloader brand of presses? I have a friend that asked me and I have not had any experience with them, however the only one I have looked at in person was the 800 series and it seemed to be crudely finished but that was the only one I have seen so far.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1839 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
A freind and I each ordered 1
If he would have waited till mine arived

We could have sent them both back in the same box and saved $$ on the shipping

Crude is the nicest thing I can say
At the top of the stroke
The ram had a lots of play

Best used as a boat anchor

John

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I guess David got tired of waiting and went ahead and ordered one. He should get it this week. If they are any kind of good I thought about ordering one just to have for the odd job that comes along. More than likely I will stick with my RCBS progressive, Rock Chucker II and Lee Classic Cast.

Steve E........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Well looks like johnch was right. David came tripping over last night just after I saw the Big Brown go down the street showing me his new press. Well he wasn't too excited about it, the finish on it was marginally OK but the ram had nearly .250 of play when it was at the top position, I believe that is where it needs to have the least amount of play. Needless to say it's going back today.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I'm just curious as to what you are calling "play"? Are you talking about up and down or does it wobble side to side? And, as a side note, how does it necessarily affect the ammunition being made? I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ and I have no experience or care about that press but couldn't a little side to side play have a bit of a self-centering effect when it is pushing the round into the dies. It actually might help. As long as the ram goes straight up and down and not in an arc and makes the same stroke length every time, I would think it would still make good ammunition. It is not intended to be a "target grade" press so I think I would have at least given it a try. Best of luck to you.

Cheers,
Jason

But what do I know?

Posts: 62 | Location: Missouri, U.S.A. | Registered: 23 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.250 play in any direction in the ram would be completely unacceptable, and I would send it back immediately. Remember it is not going to get any better with use. A little side to side play in the handle will not make much difference. But, IMHO, with all the quality manufactures out there, there is no reason a press should not meet all its users expectations. For little more money buy a quality press that will last a lifetime.

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
It(ram) had the play at the top of it's travel, I guess it would only get worse as time goes by. You could reload ammo with it but what quality would it be? He wound up getting a Lee Challenger press which was a world of difference better. It didn't have hardly any play in it's ram at full extension yet it still operates smoothly. The quality, fit and finish both included on the Smart Reloader brand is not up to most other Manufacturers standards. With a little bit of refinement they could I believe be a very good press, as of now they are barely adequate. This all my opinion (and Davids)and we know what they say about opinions. LOL.

Steve E.............

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
USAF Veteran