New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronograph preferences?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using a Chrony Beta master for the last few years. It gives numbers when it wants to. I have sent it back 3 times. The last time they sent me a new one free of charge and I thought my troubles were over. I went to the range with a light drizzle this morning. I covered the Chrony with the screens and a couple of heavy targets. Still it got a bit wet. No numbers after the third group. I had ten or twelve boxes of handloaded ammo and three rifles to fire. Am I expecting too much? Will any chrony foul up with rain? I have had several handloading friends say get rid of that POS and get a Oehler 35 and forget it. You will get numbers every time. Any experience? Thanks, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are expecting way too much from your chronograph. Personally, I only chronograph when sunlight is direct enough that I can see the shadow of the chrony and tripod.

Surprisingly, most electronics tolerate moisture pretty well, as long as they are turned off, and allowed to dry for about three days before you power them up. Years ago, when I worked for Tektronix, the first thing our service shop manager would do with a scope to be repaired was take the skins off, and wash the insides down with high pressure hot soapy water, rinse well, and bake out for 24 hours. Then he would start on whatever the customer needed done.

If you really want to chronograph under adverse lighting conditions, you might consider the one at

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/

I've never used one, but they have an optional LED light source for it that looks pretty promising.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oehler 35P.....love the printer. Buy direct from Oehler or www.natchezss.com

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote