Find
Notify
Tools

Bum Midway Brass.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Bought 100 300 RSAUM Remington Brass from Midway last week and it came in last night.

Not the usual bag of Remington Bagged Brass. It was in a Small Box and was apparently taken from a Bulk stash. Don't know if it was from the same lot or not but, this Brass is in Terrible condition. I've always had good luck w/ Rem Brass But, not this go around. The Brass is all dinged up and the FlashHoles are terribly out of center, Some almost at the side of the primer Pocket! I'm talking 1/16" or more out of center. Most are just alittle out of center but, I shouldn't be able to visably tell the holes are out of center period! Mad.

Looks like Midway may be pedaling some culls or seconds.

Tonight I think I'll sort through the rest and weigh, check for dents, and check for the Flashhole centers. I may decide to keep them If I can find a good bit of descent ones.

Oh well, looks like I may have to deal w/ their Customer service. They've always been nice, I think they'll probably replace or refund.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only that but if they are 1/16th out of center you got mighty bif flasholes!! and they won't hold the primer anyway! jump

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not only that but if they are 1/16th out of center you got mighty bif flasholes!! and they won't hold the primer anyway!

bewildered Guess I didn't get that Ray.

I'm not talking about the primer Pocket, I'm talking abou the Flash Hole. The center of the flashhole is approx 1/16" off center (c to c) placing the hole almost on the edge of the Primer Pocket! I've never seen brass that bad.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad you don't shoot the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

Then you could have put BUM RUM BRASS in your title line.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I know Gaffs was having someone make brass with their headstamp and some was getting out with off center holes.
I'm not a prairie dog shooter so don't go through volumes of brass but I won't buy the bulk stuff anymore. I've been looking for the winchester and remington "50 bags". They aren't priced much higher than bulk and the quality....especially on the Remington...seems to be much much better.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm still smarting from my last deal with Midway customer service.

I ordered a Krieger barrel from their catalog on April 22 because they said in their Ad that it would be a 60+ day order time and ordering direct from Krieger was 12 weeks. (I figured that they got preferential treatment because of volume).
After 60 days I called Midway and they told me that the Ad meant over 60 days but the barrel should be there by the 4th of July.
On July 22 (90+ days after order) Midway told me that the Ad meant that is was at least a 90 day turn time (At this time they changed the ad in their catalog to say 90+ days).
On August 22 (120 days after order) Midway told me that the barrel would be delivered sometime after Sept 26th and asked me if I would like to cancel the order?

I said, "Gee thanks, then I can start the wait all over again".

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recently had a bad batch of WW 338 brass. Sent it back and got apologies and another batch of brass the next week. Guess what? When I started sorting the brass there was two of the bad ones from the week prior that I had marked on the headstamp with a magic marker. They sent me back the same brass a second time. I guess they thought I would notice the same bag of "shit" twice.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Alright, Not as bad as I thought. I just got done weighing and sorting. Turns out that top handful I pulled out last night must have had about 25% of the Bum brass in it, ha.

9 brass out of the 100 had noticably off center flashholes, 3-4 of which had the bad off centered holes that were probably More like 3/64" than a full 1/16, badly off towards the edge of the primer pocket. The other 5-6 were just noticably off to one side.

The weights were not that bad, they ranged from 220-224 grains. 26 at 221.5-222.5, 18 at 221.0-221.5, ~25 at 222.5-223.5, a few at 221, and a few at 224. Not too bad.

I believe most of the dents will come out on the first trip through the Forester FL sizer.

Still kind of makes me think there was a few culls thrown in the pile but, I can live w/ just 9 out of 100 being trash.

Reloader

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bought 100 300 RSAUM Remington Brass from Midway last week and it came in last night.

Not the usual bag of Remington Bagged Brass

I have never gotten any bagged Rem brass from midway. It's always been in a box and all was pretty good except for one order of 7RUM brass that had the same problems you descibed. I like you only had about 15 cases out of 100 that had off center flash holes.
I'm getting ready to make an order for some 7mm SAUM brass and dies for my new addition to the family and I may deal with midsouth. They beat midway on a lot of their prices anyway.

Guns and ammo what more do we need?

Posts: 214 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote