Notify
Tools

Sticky case extraction...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted
Hello folks,

I just came back from the range today after doing some load testing. My all around hunting load for this year is Winchester brass, WLRM primers, 73.0gr of RE-15 and 260gr Accubonds. I shot this load in 28 degree Celsius temperature without any problems at all, no heavy bolt lift or hard extraction.

I decided a few days ago to try out some CCI250 primers. Using the same brass, powder, bullet combo, I started loading some Winchester brass that was on its 3rd reload. Reducing by 5%, I loaded one round with 70gr, the next at 71gr, 72gr and so forth all the way up to 73gr or RE-15. These are the observations 15' from the muzzle:

70gr: 2616 FPS
71gr: 2633 FPS
72gr: 2666 FPS
73gr: 2700 FPS

The 73gr loads were showing a slight bolt lift, but hard extraction. I had to pull fairly hard on the bolt handle to get the case out. I examined the cases and did not notice any overly flattened primers, or any other signs of overpressure. Primer pockets are still very tight... I added a few picture so that you can see for yourself. You will notice the area just above the belt where the brass was sticking. Most of you will probably tell me to back off on the powder charge since its a sign of over pressure. The velocity is not over book velocity by any means!!! I'm just wondering if any of you had such problems in the past? By the way, commercial ammunition extract without a glitch.

By the way, this load does shoot very well... 3 shot group at 100 yrds!

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is strange. I had the same problem moving from CCI 250 to WLRMs. Good luck with the puzzle.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
What was the MV of the 73-grain load when you were using the WLRM primers? I think maybe by the last reloading, the cases may have been in need of a complete FL resizing. Since primary extraction is done by raising the bolt handle, I do not think your load was developing too much pressure; rather, having to drag the cases out after primary extraction indicates that the cases are not springing back away from the chamber walls sufficiently. Certainly, I would think that was the problem if your original load and the one with CCI's had about the same MV. The cases LOOK OK, but as we all know, appearance of the case can be deceiving. However, I DO trust primer pocket expansion to tell me if a load needs to be reduced!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
Hello El Deguello,

Thank you for your input! Actually, I adjusted my die for a full length sizing as per the manufacturer instructions... The MV using CCI primers and 73gr of powder is 45 FPS slower...

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
Hello El Deguello,

Thank you for your input! Actually, I adjusted my die for a full length sizing as per the manufacturer instructions... The MV using CCI primers and 73gr of powder is 45 FPS slower...

Having your die adjusted to the manufacturer's recommendations, I take it, means that the shellholder touches the bottom of the die at the top of the sizing stroke? So there is no room left for the case to be pushed further into the die?

And you are getting a little LESS velocity but sticky cases? I suggest trying the CCI's with a couple of NEW cases, 73 grains of RL 15, and those same bullets to see if they give problems as well.

Based on the fact that your primer pockets remained tight and the MV was not out of the average much, I don't think your problem is due to excessive pressures. BUT you can't go hunting with ammo that may leave an empty sticking in the chamber, either! Maybe you will just have to stick with the WIN primers!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
El Deguello,

The sizing die is actually touching the shell holder plus 1/4 turn as per Lee Instructions...

Check in the "Big Bore" section, I posted the same thread... I've added a few more pictures.

Maurice

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem, scrubbed the chamber real good and changed to new brass. No more problem, not sure which fixed it.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Enigma:
El Deguello, The sizing die is actually touching the shell holder plus 1/4 turn as per Lee Instructions...

Maurice

I see. Well, on a few rare occasions, I had to file off a little from the top face of the shell holder to get the case to go up into the die far enough, but if you do this, be sure you don't set the shoulder back TOO FAR, and end up with excessive headspace.