New
Find
Notify
Tools

Temp Sensitivity of Varget vs IMR4064
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In my 22" 7-08 I have gotten slightly better accuracy using IMR4064 vs Varget. However if Varget is less temp sensitive than IMR4064 the Varget may be better from season to season. The season to season use would be for metallic silhouettes out to 385m. Do you think there is a temp sensitive difference between the two and if so how much mv difference should I expect?

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you chrono'd your ammo season to season to see if the difference is affecting your game?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not, but I should keep some in a cooler and some others on the dash in the sun and then test.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Hodgdon's own advertizing Varget and Benchmark were specifically formulated to reduce to an absolute minumum the velocity changes with ambient temperature variations.

I've burned up a lot of IMR4064 over the years, virtually all of it in my 30-06 and never noticed a problem.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used 4064 and 150s in my 3006 for 30 years. There is a difference. I compensate for it by using 52 grains in the summer (about 80 degrees F)and 53 in hunting season (about -20degees F). If I dont do this group size increases and point of impact changes. I have not done these tests with varget

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Varget in a .308 tactical rifle in everything from 20degress and 3 feet of snow to 110 in the shade with no changes in my POA, POI.
Sarge

I was a soldier * I am a soldier * I will always be a soldier
SFC,US Army, Retired
NRA Life
www.snipercountry.com

Posts: 60 | Location: Southern Area 51 | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The varget has performed perfectly in my 7mm08 in all temps. I have tried others and 4064 was the worst performer of all for my rifle. H4350EXT was second but it is compressed. IMR 4895 was 3rd best. I haven't tried the H4895 simply because the Varget is great.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4064 also performs better and more consistently in the 260 Remington as compared to Varget...

I wouldn't worry about it, unless you are hunting at 30 below and then 110 degrees later...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tested ammo of each frozen in my deep freeze against others figuring about 60o diff between the two. I did not test many so the test wasn't very exhaustive. Regardless the Varget did show a bit more resistance to temp changes so I will try it 1st since I can feasibly be shooting silhouettes at 100o and hunting at 0o.

Deke.