THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever have a problem after trimming brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
I sized some 300 WM brass bumping the shoulder back 0.003". Tried chambering the brass and it was fine.

Needed to trim the brass as it was long, so trimmed to the noted 2.610". Chamfered and deburred the brass.

Now, I'm having problems with the bolt closing. I thought it was a slight edge on the outside of the case mouth due to improper deburring, so I really put a deep outside deburr on about a half dozen brass. It seems to be better, but still a little resistance when trying to swing the bolt handle down on some of the brass I worked over.

If you remove the brass and turn it slightly, sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Other times, it closes without resistance.

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Does the shoulder still measure -.003

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Does the shoulder still measure -.003

Yep, same measurement before and after.

Yet, an unsized, only cleaned case will chamber, which is + 0.003.

Graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedNow that's a real mind bender. I'd sure like to see the whole operation. shocker roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say you have made it out of round.

The fact that sometimes turning the brass helps
kind of shows this.

I would resize again.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say you have made it out of round.

I'm with 505G on this topic.

I think you may perhaps be concentrating on the wrong end of the case.

You've already trimmed so it's not case length, and chamfering is now O.K., too. Regarding the mouth of the case you could be bulging the case mouth or neck while seating the bullet. That should pretty much cover potential issues at this end of the case.

As for the case base; could be a number of issues; chamber out-of-round, Dies the same or the belt.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
either out of round or perhaps in the whole trim and chamfer process you expanded the neck somehow

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of case trimmer do you use?

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Well, I think the problem has been solved.

There was a slight shim of brass on the bolt face up against the extractor. How it got there, who knows. But, it was large enough that it could have been causing the problem.

Also, there was a notable difference between hand feeding and running the case thru the magazine when chambering.

Yep, it is a CRF rifle.

Graybird

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pegleg:
What kind of case trimmer do you use?

RCBS trim mate

Graybird

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Graybird,
You answered your own question before I got to it. Had the same thing happen to me and it sure was a head-scratcher. Finally found the little piece stuck to the bolt face and everything was fine. Live and learn. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the darnedest things that come out here! killpc

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote