Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with Lee 270 sizing die.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted
While cleaning a buddies Ruger 270 I thought id see how my sized 270 shells would fit in his rifle. These shells are all FL resized, btw. The first two I tried were Federal brand brass and couldnt move the bolt forward more than about 2", thought this was quite odd, so I resized them again, just to make sure, same thing, no moving forward more than 2".

Tried a Win. brand shell next, this shell moved all the way forward but the bolt was hard to close. I have since sent this die and a Lee 06 die back to them for adjustments with a similar hard to close bolt with that one.

When I measured the 270 brass .750" from the headstamp, the fed was .461" in diameter while the Win. brass was .454. Im just wondering if Lee is going to be able to adjust the 270 die so it will size the body down to where itll fit in the chamber of that Ruger, or are they going to have to make me a new die to the correct saami specs? Thoughts? Thanx, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Was the die screwed down until touching the shellholder plus an extra 1/8-1/2 turn when the brass was resized?

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
Was the die screwed down until touching the shellholder plus an extra 1/8-1/2 turn when the brass was resized?

Most definitely!

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have noticed sometimes if you miss match the brand of shell holder it can make a difference. If you have couple brands of the same you might try switching to a different one, I have noticed a difference when using a lee or RCBS shell holder with a different make of die

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a slight difference between the Lee and RCBS shellholder Ive got, but I dont think that would size the body of the case where it would fit in the Rugers chamber.. The difference between the win and fed cases I have sized are .007", with the Fed being larger. Jay