New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some advice. I have just started loading 223 Remington cartridges using BL-C(2). I am using an RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure to get close then using a powder trickler to bring it up to the proper load. I am finding there is a lot of static which is causing the powder to adhere to the inside of the measure, resulting in very inconsistent loads. I have tried wiping everything down with a sheet of "Bounce" which has worked in the past, but the flakes of BL-C(2) are so small it doesn't seem to work.

When I do get an accurate load and try to funnel it into the case I am finding the neck of case is just a little smaller than the neck of the funnel causing some of the powder to miss the neck and end up on my bench. I am using the standard RCBS funnel which is supposed to work from 22 to 45 cal.

I have tried working up an accurate load then load the cases directly from powder measure, but as I said in the first paragraph, I am getting inconsistencies up to .5 grains.

I haven't had this problem using any other powders or cartidges (270, 7mm, 444 marlin etc.)

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice or is this a problem inherent to this powder (in which case I will try something different).

Thanks.

Bob

Posts: 41 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Try scrubbing out the powder hopper with dishwasing detergent. This has helped with my powder measure when I had similar problems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With BL-C2, you can do as most of the bench rest shooters do to charge the case. Scoop it through a container of powder, level the powder at the case neck, and compress the load with the bullet. At the burning rate of BL-C2, a few stray grains aren't going to make any noticable difference.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote