Find
Notify
Tools

Re: scratch on brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I think you are on it. I did clean the pocket yet, I'm fairly new to this game. Plus, I got the feel that the magnum primers were not seating like the large rifles I've been using...they just didn't "feel" the same during priming. I shot this rig to my best groups so far this weekend: Rem Model 7 300 SAUM 180gr. Nos. Partition under 60.5 gr of H414 = .8872 3 shot at 100 yards.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Born to Hunt,

Those scratches on your bass should be evaluated by a qualified gunsmith. Not only to evaluate the cause of the scratches but if your that new to reloading, the brass should be examined for the sake of safety.

Relaoding is truely rewarding and pleasurable, however, you only get one fatal mistake.

Good Shooting,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it Smoker. The scratches are always on the same place. I'm not having any problems with full-sized brass...just neck sized. Some of the brass is roughed up a little by the extractor too.

Honestly, I don't know of a good gunsmith in my area. I am really considering having a custom rifle built, but I wouldn't know where to start looking for a "Good Gunsmith". I used to know a fine one, but he passed away not too long ago. I will take the brass and rifle to Gamaliel Shooting Supply (www.gamaliel.com). They are just twenty minutes from my home. I wouldn't call those guys gunsmiths, but they are certainly more knowledgeable than I.

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I shot my first neck-sized brass yesterday- 300 Rem SAUM neck sized with RCBS neck size die. All went well, but all three cases have a slight scratch almost identical in size just across the shoulder of the case. All three have the same angle. What's up? Should I FL size?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you case is dragging on the shoulder of the chamber as you chamber it. I don't know if FL sizing would fix the issue.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it might have caught something on ejection. Sometimes remingtons will do this.

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I carefully cycled 6 different rounds through this rifle yesterday. The bolt is hard to turn down after the round has been chambered. After the round has been chambered, the firing pin leaves a circle on the primer. I'm new to reloading, but that doesn't sound normal?