Notify
Tools

GS Custom Solids - To crimp or not to crimp
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Gentlemen,
I finally got my 450 grain GS Customs Solids for my .460 Wby. Did I mis-read the enclosed instructions or does Gerard clearly state NOT to crimp these bullets? Does he just mean when working up a load? Any round in that caliber range in my experience requires a crimped bullet.
Anyone have a special reason why these bullets would be different in that aspect?
Thanks,
Kyler

------------------
Being ready is good, being safe is great, being both is tough.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I always crimp mine. Did not hurt accuracy at all, but it may be the reason I got normal pressure and velocity instead of the extra 100 fps Gerard expects.

Don

<eldeguello>
posted
NEVER CRIMP A RIFLE LOAD IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO. Bolt actions and single-shots don't require crimping. Bench-rest shooters never crimp, and their ammo has got to be the most accurate around. If crimping improved accuracy, they would do it!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that Kyler's concern is that without a crimp, the ammo in the magazine will have the bullets driven into the case under the recoil of a 460 Weatherby.

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone that hunts dangerous game had BETTER crimp his bolt guns ammo or the recoil will jump the bullets forward and hang up everything in the box and get you bloody stomped..Out there the benchrest boys and there practices don't count.

This is not theory it has happen on more than several hundred ocassions.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41998 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, below is Gerard's answer.

Hello Kyler,
The reason why we recommend no crimp is because it may damage one of the forward driving bands unless done precisely behind a driving band. In testing with a 460, we found it not neccessary to crimp as the driving bands tend to "print" the case neck leaving very slight ridges once the bullet is seated, each acting as a very slight crimp. My Steyr Mannlicher 375 has punched the front of the magazine out from recoil in testing and the col does not change. When you do your speed workup before the accuracy tests, leave one loaded round in the bottom of the mag for the duration of the test and see if the col changes. If it changes, crimp, otherwise do not. Let me know how it goes and if I can help with anything else, just let me know.
Regards
Gerard

I'm afraid I'm still going to crimp them lightly enough to hold while not damaging the bullet. Maybe it's just me but the .460 seems to have some recoil. I just wanted to check to see if there were any safety (pressure) precautions recommending against a crimp, slightly larger groups are a small price to pay, we are speaking minute-of-buffalo here.
Thanks again,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don G>
posted
I use a Lee "factory crimp" die, and always set the COL to put the crimp just behind a driving band. Works for me.

I would special order a collet crimp die if I had to. They are far superior to a roll crimp in all respects.

Don

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
I have a Lee Factory Crimp die for all of my rounds except for the 460 Weatherby. They current do not make one (even on special order) because it is too large. I spoke with John Lee last week. He asked me if I would be interested in a 460 Weatherby crimping die if they made it on a larger die body that would require the removal of the bushing in most presses. I invited him over to this site to interact with all of the members. He is one heck of a nice guy and seems quite interested in our opinions. Don't be surprised if you see him show up.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<lb404>
posted
Longbob, I have tried for years to get Lee to make factory crimp dies for the larger calibers, 505 gibb 416 rigby, and some of the double rifle rounds. I told him 5 years ago that with the resurgence of intrest of 50 bmg that a larger die body crimp die would sell, perhaps he will get busy soon!!!!
lb404

------------------
lb404

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
lb404,

Lee will make you a 416 Rigby. Send them a dummy round along with $25. I sent them a 35 Whelen, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott, and 460 Weatherby. They sent the Weatherby back because it was too large for their die body. I received the other three in under a month. I used the Lott Crimping Die last night and it works great! I'm sure the Rigby will be the same. Contact John Lee directly and tell him of your wishes.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee made a factory crimp die for me for my 416 Rigby. They said, however, that they could not make one for 470NE because it is too large. I too would be interested in a larger bodied die to handle the larger calibers.

------------------
RC

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
John Ricks will make you a custom crimper. Here is his for the .500 A-Square on the left, John sent me the specifics with the answer to my query. Drop him a note.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rifles/

------------------

[This message has been edited by Roger Rothschild (edited 04-01-2002).]

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote