New
Find
Notify
Tools

h380 in 7mm Rem mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is anyone using H380 in 7mm Rem Mag? if so do you have any data to get me started with 140gr Gamekings?

Thanx,
Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
to me, i think H-380 is really to fast for a cartage that size.i would go with at least RL-22 or one of the 4831s.. but if you want to use that powder start with 54.0 with the 140s and work up. that is only about 70% density. you need at least 85 to 90

Posts: 1135 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
to me, i think H-380 is really to fast for a cartage that size. ...
I Agree with vines. There are a couple of potential problems with it:
1. Density will be very low as vines said. That means the Powder can shift around inside the Case a bit too much and create strange Accuracy issues.
2. You will not be able to get Peak Performance with H-380 in the 7mmRemMag, because you will reach an Over Pressure condition prior to the Velocity reaching it's best potential.

If you are trying to Down-Load, you should get better results with Tubular Powders than Ball Powders, because they "typically" ignite easier and burn cleaner at Lower Pressure.

H1000 works well for me with 140gr Bullets.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanx guys,

H380 work wonders in my'06 and some of my friend want to buy powder in large quantities, and we are trying to find something the works in .308, 30-06, 7mm mag, .300 win mag. My choice was the H380 if it would work.

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have been loading W780 supreem this week in a large variety of calibers from .243 to 7 mag. I may have a new favorite ball (sorta like a ball) powder.

Starting load for 7 mag is 56 over a 140 bullet but check the hodg. web site to be sure.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, That is a worthwhile goal.

However, I've found it is best for me to find out what "actually works" in my rifle before placing a Bulk Order. By that I mean, what performs as a great Powder in one 7mmRemMag might not shoot worth a clinton in a different one. Even though the H1000 has worked well for me in a few 7mmRemMags, yours might just prefer the RL-22 that vines mentioned, the WW-780 Ted mentioned or H4831, IMR-7828, etc.

I prefer a SAFE MAX Load for my Hunting. I want a balance of the Best Accuracy and SAFE MAX Velocity without being too close to an Over-Pressure condition, or at a point where a specific Powder becomes erratic. The only way I know how to find the best Powder is to try a few different ones. And of course that is best done prior to making a large Bulk purchase by doing that Testing with 1# jugs.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Markhpb:
thanx guys,

H380 work wonders in my'06 and some of my friend want to buy powder in large quantities, and we are trying to find something the works in .308, 30-06, 7mm mag, .300 win mag. My choice was the H380 if it would work.

Accuracy and economy are admirable goals good hand loaders always seek, and they're almost always reached with near maximum loads. Your plan to settle on one powder falls short IMO, not because it won't work, but because the 308 is physically smaller and is at its best with powders that aren't suitable for top loads in the larger cases. I think you'd wise to settle on two powders, say Varget and IMR/H 4831 for example.
Your list contains good and powerful cartridges proven over time, but no substantial increase in bore size from one to the other. Prudence demands a slower powder for the larger cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
50.0-50.2gr of H-380 performs beautifully in my 7-08AI with 140gr bullets, but I would think it is way to fast for a 7mmRemMag. I always used a max load of IMR 4831 with 140gr bullets in my 7mmRemMag. Accuracy was excellent.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote