New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? New Nosler No. 5 Load Data ??
 Login/Join

<Lars G>
posted
I have not seen the new Nosler No. 5 Manual (yet) but was interested in knowing whether the loading data presented applies to ALL thier current production bullets - e.g. ballistic tip, partition, partition gold, partition gold moly free, CT ballistic tip, CT failsafe? If not, which bullets is the data good for.

It does not seem possible that one set of data could cover all these different types of bullets.

The reason I ask, is that I found out thru a recent load development (180 gr partition gold - moly free) that the new partition golds have to be loaded about 2.0 grains lower than the "regular" partitions. I have my theory as to why this is so. This kinda bums me out as in the past I could interchange load development for Hornady spirepoints and Speer hotcores with the "regular" partitions - but not now with the newer partition golds.

Does Nosler comment on this? Just curious as I may end up talking to Nosler about this. [Confused]

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Lars - Nosler does note that the load data applies to all their bullets, however, when loading for the Partition Gold or Fail Safe always use starting load data. The Gold and Fail Safe possess heaver copper jackets, thus they possess a smaller lead core. Therefore, the bullets are longer than the standard Partition or Ballistic Tip. The longer bullet can pose a problem with slow powders and limited case capacity.

One thing that I cannot figure out is Nosler lists the BC for the Gold and FS the same at the Partition. Since these bullets are longer, you would expect them to have a better BC????

[ 07-16-2002, 18:58: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
In the 30 cal at least the partition and partition gold have the same bc's in some wieghts with the partition gold even higher with different weights. The fail safes have a lower bc in all the weights I've looked at. I have not looked at all the tables the editors may not have caught it.

You'ld think the bc's would change with the same bullets being shot in different cartridges with different speeds.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I can only add the following, based on empirical evidence.

"Nosler," as an entity, is full of incredible bullshit when it comes to applying "the same data" in their #5 manual for their 260-grain, .375-caliber Partition bullet to their 260-grain, .375-caliber Ballistic Tip. There is no f**king way you can use those far-end-of-the-spectrum loads with those unGodly-long 260-grain Ballistic Tips. No way, Jose.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Ballistic Tip bullet, and it's damn accurate out of the two .375 H&H Magnums I've shot them from, but upper-end "Partition" data won't work with "Ballistic Tip" bullets.

Aside from this, I like their new manual quite a lot.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have about 50 handloading manuals, and the Nosler manuals never get used.
I can't find anything useful that is not stated better somewhere else.
The loads are wimpy, too.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote